Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper acetate and residue
DORI
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-6-2013 at 06:22
Copper acetate and residue

Hello All

I Have prepared copper acetate (to be used as an ingredient in a brass patination process), following the procedure described here(short brief if you don't have patience to watch it - making copper carbonate from copper sulfate and sodium bicarbonate, and making copper acetate from the copper carbonate and 5% acetic acid).

However, I know nothing about stoichiometry, so I just multiplied the amounts to fit my yield of copper carbonate.
The guy in the video calculated 230ml AA for 12.36 grams of copper carbonate, but used 250ml of 5% acetic acid for 12.36 grams of copper carbonate to be on the safe side and make sure all the CC reacted. I figured the ratio as 18AA/1g CC, and since I used 27g of copper carbonate, I mixed in 510ml of acetic acid (5% ofcourse).
Now I have a jar with a nice dark blue liquid, just like in the video, but on the bottom of the jar there is a light verdigris sediment, that looks very thin.
What is this sediment? is the reaction over? what is the most efficient way to extract my copper acetate (since this is what I needed in the first place...)?

wow, that was a lot to read...sorry about this guys :)

Thanks for your time reading and even more if you can help!
I Like Dots
Hazard to Self

Mood: frisky

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 16:42

You don't need to be exact with this.
Just make a solution of copper sulfate, and add sodium bicarbonate solution. Add until copper carbonate stops precipitating.
Add vinegar until everything is dissolved. simple.

As for the sediment who knows, by the color it might be left over copper carbonate.

Just filter the solution through a coffee filter, and save the liquid. Then you could just toss it on the stove to concentrate it.

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 17:55

You need to be careful about boiling down solutions of copper acetate to dryness - too much heating and the copper acetate will decompose. Also, it's best if you wash you precipitate of basic copper carbonate with water several times before adding acetic acid in order to remove all sodium sulfate and unreacted sodium bicarbonate. This way you can be sure about how much acetic acid to use.

Note: Make sure your calculations are for basic copper carbonate (Cu2(CO3)(OH)2), not copper carbonate. If you don't use enough acetic acid, you will have unreacted basic copper carbonate, which could be your sediment.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 23:00

Just use enough acetic acid. If the procedure asks for a certain amount, multiply by 1.5 and add this. The excess acetic acid evaporates and assures that you get real copper acetate and not some basic copper acetate.

Obtaining the salt is easy, but requires patience. Pour the liquid in a plastic or glass dish and put this on a warm and dry place, free of dust. A nice place is on top of a heater radiator, but in summer, a nice warm place near a window with sunshine is suitable as well. The larger the surface of the dish, the better. After a few days all water and acetic acid will have evaporated and crystals of copper acetate remain behind. I would not strongly heat the liquid, this may lead to decomposition. Copper acetate is not that stable, it easily looses acetic acid and becomes a mixed oxide/acetate (so-called basic copper acetate), which is insoluble in water.

Another important issue is the purity of the acetic acid. Some brands of vinegar contain extractions from spices, salt and sometimes even some sugar besides acetic acid and water. Even the colorless vinegar may have quite a lot of impurities. You could check that by boiling down a little amount of vinegar and see if a residue remains behind. Maybe you can find cleaning vinegar in a supermarket? This cleaning vinegar usually just contains acetic acid and water and in most countries it also has a higher concentration (10% or so).

[Edited on 18-6-13 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DORI
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-6-2013 at 04:34

Thanks for all your answers! I will follow Your advice and see what happens.
DORI
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 11:03

OK, I started the procedure again, trying to avoid previous mistakes. I now have a vessel with that nice looking deep blue liquid, and some crystals have already formed on the bottom. I would like to speed up the process - currently I'm just waiting for the liquid to evaporate. I read in the comments above that heating can cause the copper (II) acetate to decompose, so I'd rather not risk it (this is not just a fun experiment, I actually need the copper acetate...). my question is - can I speed things up by electrolysis? it may sound like I'm rushing it, but I'd really hate to just wait for it to evaporate.
I have copper electrodes and a power source, but so far I haven't found any explanations on the web.
Many thanks for your help!

Go To Top