Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Filter adapters for test tube and buchner funnel
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-6-2013 at 14:41
Filter adapters for test tube and buchner funnel

Where can i buy some filter adapters? I am in need of some rubber or neoprene adapters so i can set up sublimation with a test tube like this.
http://periodicalmaniacs.wikispaces.com/file/view/image015.j...

And i also need adapters for buchner vacuum filtration.

Is there a universal set of adapters i can buy?
With buchner i can imagine one adapter being able to fit many different sizes of funnel because they are conical, but i might need a specific one for the test tube. Do they have to be exact sizes?

[Edited on 16-6-2013 by nimbus8]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-6-2013 at 14:55

if you don't mind trying a Chinese company, these might be what you are looking for:http://www.laboyglass.com/clamps-and-accessories/pluro-stopper

These are called Pluro stoppers but other names are used. At the moment I can't recall others but with luck these will help.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-6-2013 at 19:21

I have three different sizes of Buchner funnels: a 15cm, 7cm, and a 4.5cm. For the two larger ones I prepared adapters from rubber stoppers using a cork borer. For the smallest one I have a professionally made adapter. It's too thin walled to be cut from a stopper.

You can likely buy them thru VWR or Fisher Scientific. I would check eBay, Avogadro's Lab Supply, etc, also.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 09:19

Dang, would the ones funkerman posted be pretty universal? Whats a good cork borer, can you get them in gradients like .5mm or 1mm? Because if you had those small of adjustments it would probably be pretty easy to get a vacuum tight seal.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 09:29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_borer

I have one of those Pluoro adapters for my smallest funnel. It doesn't seal all that well and I like the ones I bored using stoppers better.

The hole bored in the stopper is cylindrical. The Buchner funnel stem, however, is tapered. But by choosing the right bore diameter for the stopper you get a good seal.

[Edited on 17-6-2013 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 11:07

Alright thank you very much, what type of rubber stopper is best used? Can cork be used i want something that is very unreactive.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 11:12

Using a cork will probably not give you a particularly good seal, owing to the many small holes/pores it contains.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 12:22

Quote: Originally posted by nimbus8  
Alright thank you very much, what type of rubber stopper is best used? Can cork be used i want something that is very unreactive.

I used the black rubber stoppers I had on hand. I really don't know what kind of rubber they are made of: I would think Neoprene or EPDM, but I don't know. My stoppers come from various sources including Ace Hardware.

I wouldn't use cork for the reason Hex mentioned and also it is weaker and won't take the (ab)use that rubber will.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 13:46

I might have a few rubber Pluro adapters left as well if you are interested, as well as lots of funnels, flasks, and frits to go with them. They come in a number of sizes, but there are about 3 or 4 sizes that cover most uses up to 2L filter flasks. I have lots of the super huge ones for 4L plus flasks, but not many takers on those, but I do have a few smaller ones left.
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-6-2013 at 15:27

Have any of you used one of these? https://www.avogadro-lab-supply.com/item_images/FilterAid2.j...

Go To Top