Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Anhydrous perchloric acid ?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 22:46

TiCl4 almost certainly will react with ethanol. I would not be surprised if this make ethyl chloride and hydrous TiO2, or ethyl chloride and some basic titanium chloride. TiCl4 will be a chlorinating agent, not as strong as PCl3 and co., but it most likely will be strong enough to attack simple low carbon alcohols.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-7-2013 at 01:48

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
TiCl4 almost certainly will react with ethanol.

Reaction of TiCl4 and ethanol will yield HCl and titanium-ethoxide (Ti(OEt)4).

TiO2 could be also produced by this method, only thing what should be present is a little water, since the Ti-alkoxydes hydrolyze easily. EtCl will not be produced.

But I would recommend to use another solvent, what is aprotic, maybe toluene. Since it dissolves Li-perchlorate and TiCl4 also.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 3-7-2013 at 10:01

Quote: Originally posted by kristofvagyok  
Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
TiCl4 almost certainly will react with ethanol.

Reaction of TiCl4 and ethanol will yield HCl and titanium-ethoxide (Ti(OEt)4).

TiO2 could be also produced by this method, only thing what should be present is a little water, since the Ti-alkoxydes hydrolyze easily. EtCl will not be produced.

But I would recommend to use another solvent, what is aprotic, maybe toluene. Since it dissolves Li-perchlorate and TiCl4 also.

Toluene seems convienience, you sure it dont react right ? because i have little knowledge in titanium compounds, and compounds that react with water.

kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-7-2013 at 10:20

Quote: Originally posted by DubaiAmateurRocketry  
because i have little knowledge in titanium compounds, and compounds that react with water.

In this case I would like to kindly suggest to look up the scientific literature what is about these problems.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 5-7-2013 at 16:27

Titanium IV perchlorate can be made in various ways eg mixing anhydrous perchloric acid with titanium tetrachloride.
To me this sounds like one of the ultimate nasty reactions with lots of going wrong potential.
I remember my youth when the boss suggested we made a range of metal chlorides by heating metal oxides in a tube furnace in a stream of carbon tetrachloride vapour, the other product was phosgene.
A half hearted start was made on the project but despite encouragement it gradually ran in to the sand and was finally abandoned as cowardice or good sense, depending on your point of view, and more interesting and safer synthetic targets took over as objectives for the group.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top