Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: just wanna ask about nital acid
justasking
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-7-2013 at 18:58
just wanna ask about nital acid

Why cant nital acid be stored for years ?thanks !!
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
24-7-2013 at 20:19
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 25-7-2013 at 06:08

I believe that nital acid is a mixture of nitric acid and an alcohol.

Nitric acid is a powerful oxidizer, and most organic compounds are reducers. When you mix an oxidizer and a reducer, you get a self-reactive mixture, also known as an explosive.

Nital acid probably can be stored for a while, providing it is done safely in a temperature controlled environment in a proper bottle. I wouldn't reccomend it, though. There are just some chemicals you need to make every time you want to do a reaction (organolithium and the grignard is a good example).

BTW: Don't make it unless you seriously know about this stuff. If you are planning a synthesis and need it, do a lot of research first :) Better to be safe than sorry!

[Edited on 25-7-2013 by ScienceHideout]

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 25-7-2013 at 09:00

Nital should only be made with very dilute nitric acid ( usually <%5). In such cases it is quite stable and can be stored for a fair amount of time. However as ScienceHideout suggested the ethanol is slowly oxidized, and can burst bottles over time. This is especially true for higher concentrations.
Sublimatus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2013 at 10:37

I've got a solution of propan-2-ol and nitric acid that I made some months ago for etching a meteorite. I've noticed recently that there's an inexplicable colorless, crystalline solid sitting at the bottom of the bottle. Upon opening the bottle, a number of small bubbles form from the solid and float to the top of the solution. I've been meaning to dispose of the solution, but the thought of an unexpected explosion, complete with nitric acid covered glass shards really puts a damper on any motivation to move the bottle.

Sorry that the above doesn't answer the original question, but I figured it might lend some details as to what I've observed after storing such solutions.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 26-7-2013 at 06:16

you havent heard of ether peroxide by any chance, have you? (:

i think its a danger you should be considering of, isopropanol nitrate it could potentially be, if there are nothing else

as stated and expected of me, something makes it fairly impossible for it to be isopropanol nitrate; it is similar to nitromethane, its liquid, not solid

http://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB248...

think about what else could have been in the bottle before, aswell as if there are any other possibilities of forming anything, sounds weird.

depending on the bottles shape you could perhaps lift it up slowly, by what i know explosives primary and secondary are usually more stable when still wet, even NI3 is pretty impossible to set off when wet, and move it outside to move it to a plastic container (just in case)
then test it out, perhaps ask about on energetics or chemistry?
this sounds like some advanced organics perhaps even, could be?

you can always be safe if you can control the quantities

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html

Go To Top