Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Suggestion thread.
Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 6-8-2013 at 20:27
Suggestion thread.

I think we need a suggestion thread here at SM.

My original intention was to suggest having a tutorials subforum, in which you could post many helpful tutorials such as

basic stoichiometry
chlorate cell (I know Woelen wrote an article about this but it's just an example, i'm sure you can think of many others)

I think this would be really helpful and it would help the newbies here!

Anyways, I guess you can pick away any problems you can find and also post your own suggestions here!
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 19:11

I think we should have a "best of" forum where high quality posts can be immortalized. Usually by long gone members :(

An example would be like this

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 19:51

<strong>mr.crow</strong>, I could kiss you! I've been looking for that thread for <em>weeks</em>, but couldn't remember the name "TEMPO." I tried all sorts of strange searches involving "acetone condensation" and variations thereof. All I could remember was that it involved acetone and the picture of the bright red mixture on the first page. It's been driving me insane! I've been meaning to add it to my <strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=25000#organics">Topical Compendium</a></strong>. Thank you!

[added TEMPOrarily, may recategorize later]

Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 23:11

It would be lovely if someone could turn some of these giant threads (Preparation of Potassium and friends like it) into proper prepublication procedures. I would do it my self I was equipped to try... Any of them.

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 07:22

gathering it into a single document, somehow linking it to the very first post as the ''condensed facts'' about the whole procedure and what might help would spare tonnes of time, im quite sure it could be done, moderators could probably edit it and add a finished document to the most saught after procedures with say... 40 pages of replies and comments of useful stuff in it
perhaps ''Finished Topics'' would be a suitable name for such?

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 08:17

This discussion is a bit redundant.

<strong><u>Please See:</u></strong>
  • <a href="viewthread.php?tid=18125#pid234888"><strong>Nicodem</strong>'s Suggestion</a>
  • <strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=18962#pid238236">Reviews</a></strong>
  • <strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=24740#pid288832">Better prepublication sub forum</a></strong>
  • <strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=4951#pid293072">Chloroform via Haloform Rxn. of Acetone and Sodium Hypochlorite</a></strong>

DrSchnufflez
    Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 14:08

I'd really like to see some of the older successful experiments and synthesis made into proper prepublication documents, I've been reading some of peach's old posts and they are wonderful.

‘I’m free and easy-I’ll see you there!’
    - Our Sunshine, Paul Kelly
    bfesser
    Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 14:13

Everyone would like to see this, but nobody seems willing to put in the time/effort to actually do anything about it. Can we get a volunteer? I'll contribute, but I will not do it alone&mdash;I'm already doing too many other projects for this forum. I also don't have the extensive knowledge of much of the chemistry that would be necessary for effective publications on some of these topics. I'd be best at keeping to copy editing.

mr.crow
    National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 14:40

I propose we open a sub forum where top quality old, huge, inactive threads are moved for reference. New topics will be locked but posting replies maybe ok. No actual work is required, just nominate a thread and it gets moved.

That way its easy to find all the truly useful threads instead of random discussion.

I miss peach, he was funny.

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
    <strong>mr.crow</strong>, I could kiss you! I've been looking for that thread for <em>weeks</em>, but couldn't remember the name "TEMPO." I tried all sorts of strange searches involving "acetone condensation" and variations thereof. All I could remember was that it involved acetone and the picture of the bright red mixture on the first page. It's been driving me insane! I've been meaning to add it to my <strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=25000#organics">Topical Compendium</a></strong>. Thank you!

[added TEMPOrarily, may recategorize later]

Haha thanks!

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
    bfesser
    Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 17:08

I don't really think your suggestion would work out. There would be a lot of bickering about why some threads aren't worthy. I'm trying to put as many "useful threads" in my Compendium as possible; if you'd like to suggest topics for addition, <a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">U2U me</a>. I think it's safe to say that everyone misses <strong>peach</strong>'s contributions. I can think of other members as well, but let's not get into that.

Oh, and I should have listed this above:
    <strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=11054">Science Madness Wiki?</a></strong>

[edit] I forgot to mention, that in the last few days I've made major revisions to my compendium&mdash;alphabetized & typed the whole list (code+content) by hand, so please let me know if you find errors.

[Edited on 9.8.13 by bfesser]

watson.fawkes
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 19:38

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
    I propose we open a sub forum where top quality old, huge, inactive threads are moved for reference. New topics will be locked but posting replies maybe ok. No actual work is required, just nominate a thread and it gets moved.
    This is a discussion board, not a wiki. Gratuitous rearrangement, recategorization, editing, etc. might have some other purpose, but it all diminishes the value here as a discussion board.
    woelen
    Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 12:34

Quote:

No, I strongly disagree. Threads should not simply be moved. Threads are put somewhere for a reason and should stay there. This is a forum, not some reference work.

What can be done, however, is creating pages or threads with links to the nominated threads. So, the original threads are not touched, but references to those threads are made from other pages. It might even be useful to create a new section for 'monumental' threads, which contains references to all kinds of high quality threads. Such a section also could be used to decrease the number of sticky threads. Having references to such threads from the 'monumental' threads makes them accessible without being sticky.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
    jock88
    National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 13:19

One suggestion I would make is to place a google search box that only searches SCIMAD (I presume it can be done easily) on the page instead (or beside) of the current (totally f+&k*^%+ useless) search link.
    I know you can go to google and put in your search term and then place site:www.scimadness.org after the term but would a google search box on the scimad page not be simpler and save some people having to suggest to newcomers to UTFSE!
    It's one useless seach facility IMO.

Manifest
    Script Kiddie Asshole

[*] posted on 14-8-2013 at 10:48

I'd like to see more threads like this: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15336

Go To Top