Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interesting Dinitramide salts?
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 9-8-2013 at 02:48
Interesting Dinitramide salts?

I know many amateurs have made ADN, ammonium dinitramide.

But how about those ones ?

LiN(NO2)2

TiN4(NO2)8

AlN3(NO2)6

MgN2(NO2)4

would be very interesting if these exists :D

I have seen Lithium dinitramide made by someone, but not the other 3 ?

Dany
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2013 at 03:53

Yeah dinitramide salts are interesting due to their positive oxygen balance and lack of halogens which make them suitable as rocket propellant.

this is two articles on synthesis of metal dinitramide including Lithium and Magnesium.

Dany.

Attachment: Dinitramide and its salts. 3. Metallic salts of dinitramide.pdf (425kB)
This file has been downloaded 505 times

Attachment: Synthesis, spectra, and the structure of mercury(II) dinitramidate.pdf (251kB)
This file has been downloaded 483 times

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: removed unnecessary quote(s)]

[Edited on 9.8.13 by bfesser]
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2013 at 04:48

Hey ,

Although not interested in mercury dinitramide, thanks for those paper !

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: removed unnecessary quote(s)]

[Edited on 9.8.13 by bfesser]

AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 23-8-2013 at 15:38

Quote: Originally posted by DubaiAmateurRocketry  

TiN4(NO2)8

AlN3(NO2)6

MgN2(NO2)4

would be very interesting if these exists

I doubt they exist, dinitramide becomes unstable under acidic conditions, Al3+ and Ti4+ are very acidic. The hydrate of magnesium dinitramide may exist, but I doubt it is stable in anhydrous form.

Lithium dinitramide exists, it is probably less stable/explosive, similar to the azides. Under anhydrous conditions the lithium ion is somewhat acidic.
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2013 at 01:54

Lithium dinitramide prooved to be the most sensitive to electrostatic discharge when compared to other alkali dinitramide the energy required for initiation is above 0.045 J while other alkali dinitramide (Na, K, and Rb) are not initiated even with 4.5 j energy. Here's are some additional thermal properties of lithium dinitramide (see 29th international annual conference held in Karlsruhe paper Number 24):

"The DSC trace of LiDN displayed two exotherms at 125°C (-298 J/g) and 182'C (-101 J/g)
(Figure 1). The melting endotherm occurred between the two exotherms at 157 0C (+83 J/g)
and corresponds to melting of an initial decomposition product rather than LiDN itself. This
was confirmed by hot stage microscopy where the salt was seen to first darken and then
evolve gas before melting. LiDN is extremely hygroscopic and becomes hydrated within a
short period upon exposure to the atmosphere. An endotherm at 63°C (+52 J/g) is observed
corresponding to the loss of H20 from LiDN.xH 20. Thermal gravimetric analysis (TGA) of
the sample showed a total mass loss of 40.2%, corresponding to the formation of LiNO3 from
the dinitramide, with a stoichiometric loss of N20."

These salts are synthesized by acid/base reaction between Ammonium dinitramide and the corresponding alkali hydroxide in water. the density of lithium dinitramide is 2.15-2.19 g/cm3, while cesium dinitramide is the denset of all alkali dinitramide (3.07 g/cm3).

Dany.

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2013 at 04:16

some very nice information.

I would like to know a complete guide on how to make ADN.

I am deciding to make around 1 KG next summer. and much more later.

Go To Top