Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Liquid Nitrogen Dioxide
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-12-2014 at 04:16

Jylliana, you can make an ampoule of NO2 in that way. I made ampoules of NO2 and Cl2 that way. I had a gas generator, used a mix of P4O10 and CaCl2 to dry the gas and flooded the ampoule with a lot of gas, while slowly retreating the PVC tube from which the gas was streaming. Then I quickly sealed the ampoule.

The result is shown here (for the Cl2-ampoule, the NO2 ampoule is not on wikipedia):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine#mediaviewer/File:Chlor...

There is no need to fear explosions or other nasty things with NO2, when you lead some of it through a plastic tube. The issues, mentioned by hissingnoise only become serious if there is prolonged contact with rubber, plastics and so on. E.g. if you perform a reaction with gaseous NO2 and you lead the gas through plastic tubes for hours, then there may be a problem, but not if you make some gas, suck it in a 100 ml syringe, filled with some P4O10/CaCl2 mix and then slowly blow it in a glass ampoule of 20 ml.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Jylliana
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bubbly ^-^

[*] posted on 17-12-2014 at 06:12

The method worked like a charm!
My setup:

My ampoule:

Thanks for your answers :)

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 17-12-2014 at 08:37

I've condensed some N2O4 using a GG distillation setup and dry ice acetone bath for a coolant.
Worked like a charm, but I unfortunately didn't have a working torch at the time (7-8 months ago) so I couldn't ampule any of it.
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2014 at 08:41

NO2 condenses at arround 20 C with a vapor preassure of less than 1 atm..(approx)
its not supprising it can be contained in a weak regular ampoule...
unlike Chlorine or other gases requireing too much preassure, NO2 can be kept liquid sealled if it does nt get too hot ...

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 17-12-2014 at 09:50

Quote:
The issues, mentioned by hissingnoise only become serious if there is prolonged contact with rubber, plastics and so on.

Indeed woelen, I'm guilty of what I accused Bert of doing . . .

And I fed NO2 through plastic tubing from a Jacob's Ladder years ago, without incident . . .

An amorphous, yellow powder which deflagrated weakly, was found within the tubing . . .

But you know how it is; you read enough about panclastites and next thing you know . . .

Jylliana
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bubbly ^-^

[*] posted on 17-12-2014 at 12:23

I appreciate your warnings and thoughts about it, hissingnoise.
I flushed the tubing with a bucketload(let my vacuĆ¼mpump run for 20 minutes) of air and water directly after usage. That should prevent anything dangerous from depositing on the insides of the tubes. Without knowing what could happen, I might have not done that.

[Edited on 17-12-2014 by Jylliana]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top