Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A Thread of Negative Results
Galinstan
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-11-2013 at 08:49

yes Galllium is one of the few liquids that gain volume when it solidifies, about 3% if i remember correctly.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 26-11-2013 at 18:04

I'm not typing it out again, but to maintain this thread as a list of negative results, have this attempt to prepare ethylene carbonate.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=27...

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 29-11-2013 at 20:10

From what I have read using a lead ball filled ball mill is the best way of mixing, however, I was under the impression that the charcoal was of usual charcoal variety (EG burned wood or other organics) but not pure carbon. I have also seen to never use like barbecue briquettes because they have way too many additives :)

On a more pertinent note, while the idea of this thread is not bad, trying to locate any information in it after just a few days will likely be impossible and it has already had a multitude of topics posted :)

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  
Before I figured out what I was doing, I tried making black powder (Job related--aren't I lucky?). I thought that if charcoal was good,
then the highest purity 99.9% graphite flake would be even better. So donning face shields, leather aprons, and heavy gloves,
we tried igniting a bit of it (unconfined) with the burning end of a long stick. It was then that I learned firsthand just how hard it is to
ignite graphite, even with an oxidizer mixed with it. The paper just burned out from under it and left a little pile of my
"black powder" sitting there on the ground.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 29-11-2013 at 22:55

Quote: Originally posted by zenosx  
I was under the impression that the charcoal was of usual charcoal variety (EG burned wood or other organics) but not pure carbon.

Your impression....would be absolutely correct! I felt really silly afterwards. Much better results
were achieved doing it the normal way.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top