Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: names of compounds
quantumchromodynamics
Hazard to Self

Mood: tired but still trying

[*] posted on 25-9-2013 at 11:39
names of compounds

I have really tried to figure this out for myself. Please I am embarrassed to even ask, but I don't understand some important rule for naming compounds. For example, why is sodium bicarbonate the name for NaHCO3? I am confused because it would seem that sodium bicarbonate would be Na(CO3)2. I realize Na(CO3)2 doesn't make sense because the valence doesn't work out. It would have to be Na2CO3. But that name would be bisodium carbonate.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 25-9-2013 at 11:49

Dont feel bad. The older names are confusing. Check into IUPAC names. It is much more umm logical, as far as I can tell.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 25-9-2013 at 12:20

The reason that the old name for sodium hydrogen carbonate is sodium bicarbonate is because, as they noted long ago, sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) is 43.4% sodium and 56.6% carbonate (1.3 g carbonate for every 1 g of sodium). Sodium hydrogen carbonate (NaHCO3) is 21.5% sodium and 56.1% carbonate (2.6 g of carbonate for every 1 g of sodium). Since the latter contains twice as much carbonate (per sodium) as the former, the name "bicarbonate" makes sense, particularly back in the days when they were still working out chemical formulas.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Mesa
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-9-2013 at 12:24

In addition to what Bot0nist said, the study of the history of words is called "etymology." I don't doubt that you have spent a substantial amount of time using search engines to figure out the answer to your question, sometimes(most of the time) you just need to know that one keyword that will give you exactly the answer you need.

This is the second link from a google search of "etymology bicarbonate"
http://metaed.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/how-bicarbonate-gets-i...

Although, after reading it I find myself more confused than when I started.:(
quantumchromodynamics
Hazard to Self

Mood: tired but still trying

thumbup.gif posted on 25-9-2013 at 23:55
very helpful

Thanks very helpful
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 26-9-2013 at 02:08

my teacher corrected me when i said 'copper dichloride' apparently CuCl2 is referred to as just copper chloride, i guess because CuCl is more seldom than CuCl2, even CuCl4 exists by what i know but its more unstable than CuCl by what i understand

i just dont hope that your first language isnt english, because thats more than just frustrating when trying to figure out chemistry and translations and all

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 26-9-2013 at 04:07

Just to throw confusion to the wind, ;)

Note that potassium chromate is K2CrO4, while the dichromate is K2Cr2O7. If you were careless in your work, you might incorrectly assay the dichromate as KHCrO4 (say by not drying it thoroughly: H2O + K2Cr2O7 = "2 KHCrO4"), which would be a bichromate -- which doesn't actually exist.

By the way, similar analogies can be made with sodium bicarbonate (2 NaHCO3 = "H2O + Na2C2O5", which doesn't exist -- CO2 is lost along with the H2O) and sodium bisulfate (in which case, the anhydrite actually exists: 2 NaHSO4 = H2O + Na2S2O7, sodium pyrosulfate -- which presumably could also be called the disulfate!).

Tim

[Edited on 9-26-2013 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 26-9-2013 at 08:34

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
my teacher corrected me when i said 'copper dichloride' apparently CuCl2 is referred to as just copper chloride, i guess because CuCl is more seldom than CuCl2, even CuCl4 exists by what i know but its more unstable than CuCl by what i understand

You wouldn't call it copper dichloride, because you don't generally use Greek prefixes for ionic compounds. You can call them "cupric chloride" and "cuprous chloride" if you want to be old-fashioned, or "copper(II) chloride" and "copper(I) chloride" if you want to be understood, but any dichloride would be a molecular compound (sulphur dichloride, selenium dichloride, etc.).

You may see older books ignoring this, but that won't be the nomenclature your teacher is trying to teach you. (I just spent 5 minutes yelling at my class for googling up trivial names for their nomenclature assignment instead of coming up with the systematic names following the rules they were supposed to have learned.)

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.

Go To Top