Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Clean perchloric acid without distillation
Alster337
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 08:47
Clean perchloric acid without distillation

Hello,

I'm doing an investigation of several explosive compounds for my A2 chemistry project and I just need some conformation on something before I submit my project proposal (which obviously needs to be solid if it is to be approved).

One of the types of explosives I would be investigating would be perchlorates. Due to the danger of such compounds compared to say PETN, I have only decided upon two that can be done safely. One is Hydrazine perchlorate, and the other is methylamine perchlorate.

Im having some trouble with the methylamine perchlorate. I can synthesis the methylamine no problem, but the perchloric acid would have to be produced in school really, and I know that sodium perchlorate solution combined with HCl forms perchloric acid and sodium chloride. But distilling the acid to purify it is not really feasible, so I thought that perhaps silver perchlorate would be a better choice since silver chloride is insoluble and could be filtered off (The silver perchlorate could be produced by the reaction of silver sulphate and barium perchlorate).

Any replies on the feasibility of this method would be appreciated.

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 09:34

Potassium salts have a better solubility curve for separating with fractional crystallization.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
17-10-2013 at 10:33
Alster337
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 10:39

If im understanding you correctly, using potassium perchlorate isn't feasible as it is not very soluble in water, and im likely to be preparing the perchlorate solution no more than 40 ml or so.

Simply cooling down the solution of a chloride & perchloric acid would precipitate some of the chloride salt if the right one was chosen based on solubility, but it would still leave the perchloric acid impure.

I'm not sure if the chloride's presence in the perchloric acid would affect the synthesis of methylamine perchlorate, so if anyone could shed some light on that I would be very grateful.
testimento
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 13:32

A saturated sodium perchlorate solution will form perchloric acid when hydrochloric acid is applied, and any residues of chlorates will be released as chlorine dioxide gas which can be evaporated using safety precautions. Sodium chloride salts can be filtered out using sand or ceramic filters. Perchloric acid can be safely distilled at 72% azeotrope, but must not be handled in pure form due to spontaneous mass detonations upon contact with any organic matter.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 23:51

I would not distill HClO4 at all at atmospheric pressure. You need vacuum equipment for safe distillation of HClO4. The azeotrope has a boiling point of around 200 C at atmospheric pressure and I would not feel comfortable with 70% HClO4 at that temperature!

If you have access to barium perchlorate, then why first go through the silver salt? Just add dilute H2SO4 to a solution of barium perchlorate and allow the precipitate of BaSO4 to settle. Try to use as precisely as possible the right stoichiometric amount of H2SO4, but if that is impossible, it is better to have a slight excess amount of H2SO4 than having excess barium perchlorate.

If you have NaClO4, then prepare a nearly saturated solution of that in warm water and mix with an excess amount of ice cold 35+ % HCl to this (1.5 to 2 times the stoichiometric amount). Pour the solution of NaClO4 in the HCl, while constantly stirring or swirling. Allow the liquid to cool down. This causes nearly all sodium ions to precipitate as NaCl. What remains is a mix of HCl and HClO4, dissolved in water.
This mix can be boiled for a while, until the temperature of the boiling liquid goes over 135 C to 140 C. So, keep on boiling, until this temperature is reached. Then stop boiling (you do not want HClO4 to boil away!!). If you do this, then you drive off all HCl and also quite some water. What remains is fairly concentrated HClO4 (50% or so), good enough for your experiments. HCl and HClO4 do not react with each other under these conditions.

In this way, you can safely obtain HClO4 of acceptable purity without the need to distill it. You need a fume hood, or need to do this outside, because of the fumes of HCl.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Alster337
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 07:17

Using barium perchlorate & sulphuric acid sounds good, and I do have access to it. However I found out today that Barium salts may not be allowed for use in school, so i would have to either prepare the perchloric acid at home beforehand, or prepare silver perchlorate at home and bring that in instead.

I prefer the idea of using barium perchlorate so I shall see if they can make an exception, although it isn't much fuss to prepare the perchloric acid at home instead.

snooby
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-10-2013 at 23:58

Don't know if this is the right topic, but I think opening a new one is unnecessary..

I have acces to perchloric acid 70%. If I want to make some silver perchlorate with it, can I just put some silvernitrate in an excess of perchloric acid and evaporate the acid? Decomposing temperature of silverperchlorate is above 400 C and perchlorid acid is 150C so that's not een problem!
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 24-10-2013 at 00:46

I was wondering if perchloric was difficult to come by? Whereas meam is available in 40% solution or as the HCl. I know people like to make it but the synth requires better than garage ventilation.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 24-10-2013 at 04:19

I find it odd that they make you perform (what they perceive as) the most dangerous part of your experiment at home, unsupervised and with amateur equipment (often 'improvised'), and allow the rest to be done at school.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer

Go To Top