Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Separating bromine gas from water vapor
Pyro
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-10-2013 at 15:37

how about an out of control P fire involving 1kg P and a near death?
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=23941#...

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 26-10-2013 at 15:50

I accidentaly spilled lead acetate on my desk and dissolved my socks in acid last week. Everyone has their moments.;)
P.S. in another thread you said that there is still phosphoric acid in the air in your lab. How did it last that long?

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2013 at 16:13

The breath stinging stayed around for a week or so. perhaps you mistook it for bromine vapor :D
How did you dissolve your socks???

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 26-10-2013 at 16:18

They fell in a nitrating bath. It made NO2 and turned to a green chunky mixture.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 26-10-2013 at 16:28

lol bismuthate classic!

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 26-10-2013 at 21:33

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddite Cheese  
The electrolysis took 12 hours (overnight). The distillation of the bromine from the acidified solution took about 45 minutes. I ampouled the bromine, but when I was flame sealing the (cheap) ampoule the glass cracked and some spilled on my hand. I was able to save most of the bromine, though, and the bromine burn I got has healed completely.

In the video posted above, it took almost 26 hours
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2013 at 01:57

I was able to save most of the bromine, though, and the bromine burn I got has healed completely.

Love the sense of priorities. :-)
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2013 at 06:55

Man my videos are showing up all over SM today. My fame is growing :D

My electrolysis took 26 hours because that is how the math worked out to produce the optimum ratio of bromide to bromate. You could certainly run for less time, but you would get accordingly less product. When it must be electrolyzed for so much time regardless, why not run it to completion?

Quote:
I remember reading a method that uses electrolysis, sodium bisulfate and sodium dichromate but I can't find it

With a bare minimum of effort, you can find all that you seek through Google. Typing in words copied from your description, "bromine electrolysis sodium bisulfate," yields my video on this method as the first hit.

Quote:
I'm too lazy to use stochiometry

This is a terrible way to approach chemistry. There are some hobbies, like cooking, where exact measurements aren't completely necessary, but chemistry is not one of them. If you do not do your stoichiometry, very bad things can happen. You waste chemicals, lose products, and can cause dangerous runaways or unexpected side reactions. Having the skill and patience to do the math beforehand is absolutely essential here.
You also must understand how the reaction works before attempting it. What are the possible products? Does it need cooling/heating? Write out the balanced equation before you do anything, and see if your plan makes sense. Chemistry is a lot of fun and a great hobby, but can literally kill you if you do not respect it. If you really are "too lazy," put your chemicals away for a few years before you seriously hurt yourself.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 28-10-2013 at 07:06

I electrolyzed for less time than you did, but at higher current. I calculated the total amount of charge I needed by Faraday's Law of Electrolysis, so I'm pretty sure I electrolyzed it for long enough.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2013 at 07:33

Of course - you can certainly change parameters around and get the same results as long as the math works out. In my comment I meant that if everything else was kept the same as my setup but run time was reduced, you'd obtain less bromine at the end. It's also detrimental to run it too long!
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2013 at 16:03

I electrolyzed for less time than you did, but at higher current. I calculated the total amount of charge I needed by Faraday's Law of Electrolysis, so I'm pretty sure I electrolyzed it for long enough.

Just made the solution with 100 grams of sodium bromide in 300 ml of water, and half a gram of sodium dichromate. I was going to do this with a 1 amp power supply for 40 hours, but I can't start because I only got 1 carbon electrode instead of 2 >_<

Also does the amount of electrode exposed to the solution matter? What if I only submerged a tiny amount of electrode, vs the whole thing? If it doesn't matter, I can just snap the one carbon electrode I have in two pieces, and use those

[Edited on 29-10-2013 by Cou]
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 28-10-2013 at 16:18

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
I can just snap the one carbon electrode I have in two pieces, and use those

[Edited on 29-10-2013 by Cou]

You might want to hold off snapping your precious carbon
electrode in two. The anode material is more important than
the cathode material, and you can probably use something else
for the cathode.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 28-10-2013 at 16:32

The amount of electrode in contact with the solution does matter. You don't want to be operating at too high of a current density, or else you will get side reactions, like formation of oxygen, and excessive anode erosion. As for the electrodes, WGTR is right: you should use something else, like stainless steel, for your cathode. Personally, I used a MMO anode and titanium cathode, but I'm guessing you don't have those.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2013 at 18:56

Well I already snapped my carbon electrode in two >:-( wonder if there is a place i can buy more, because elemental scientific takes forever to ship
ParadoxChem126
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-10-2013 at 20:58

For the carbon electrode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knc1lSupAwQ

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 29-10-2013 at 09:47

Here is a write-up of the NaBr/NaHSO4 method. I have made this write-up a few years ago, with the goal of making bromine a more accessible chemical for many home chemists.

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/OTC_bromine/...

The hexavalent chromium, needed in the experiment, now also is not a problem anymore. Use some bleach and chromium sulfate or chrome alum (which both are available on eBay frequently and are not suspected and have no hazmat properties) to make a solution of hexavalent chromium, which can be added to the concentrated solution of NaBr as is, without the need to isolate the hexavalent chromium.

[Edited on 29-10-13 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2013 at 12:59

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Here is a write-up of the NaBr/NaHSO4 method. I have made this write-up a few years ago, with the goal of making bromine a more accessible chemical for many home chemists.

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/OTC_bromine/...

The hexavalent chromium, needed in the experiment, now also is not a problem anymore. Use some bleach and chromium sulfate or chrome alum (which both are available on eBay frequently and are not suspected and have no hazmat properties) to make a solution of hexavalent chromium, which can be added to the concentrated solution of NaBr as is, without the need to isolate the hexavalent chromium.

[Edited on 29-10-13 by woelen]

YES, that's the website I was looking for. Just curious, what happens to the hexavalent chromium after you get the bromine? And in the part where the bromine pools in the bottom, what is all the foamy stuff above it?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 29-10-2013 at 13:12

The hexavalent chromium simply remains in the aqueous layer. It might be that some of it is converted to trivalent chromium. It only plays a role during the electrolysis, it largely prevents the back-reduction of bromate to bromide.

The 'foamy stuff' above the bromine is not really foam. It is an aqueous layer. It looks foamy, due to small bubbles of air, sticking to the glass under the liquid, combined with the very bright light of the flash unit from my camera. The lighting of that picture is sub-optimal, it could have been better.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top