Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: MNT prep - strange result
aaronkrieg1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 13:14
MNT prep - strange result

So I was nitrating some Toluene yesterday and had a strange thing happen. Don't ask how but the nitrating bath was contaminated with a very small amount of candle wax. I was pissed, but went through with the nitration anyway.
Not long before I could tell something was off, the aqueous acid layer was a dark coffee colored liquid. I kept going anyways, some out of curiosity, some out of desperation. But it seemed that the Toluene was still on schedule. By the end of the nitration I got an opaque-pumpkin color Organic layer and a very dark brown coffee colored aqueous acid layer.
I washed it out and now it looks like a bright orange juice. It smells similar to how it should, but last time I did this, I don't think it was quite that color. (See exhibit A)
The mixture was allowed to seperate at a cool temperature, and when retrieved, contents were solidifying. The brown layer was syruppy and the orange layer had even developed a little slush. Ugh, what a mess.
So any ideas on what happened? Do you think there may be some salvageable Nitrotoluene in there, if so, any thoughts on extraction methods? Do you think it would be effective (or safe) to run it through a simple distillation. It took a long time to prep this so I'm grabbing strings here before I start over

2013-11-09_20-00-20_833.jpg - 43kB

[Edited on 10-11-2013 by aaronkrieg1]
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 13:35

Wellcome to the world of nitroaromatics.
The dark brown can be a sign of unreacted toluene. The solids can be higher nitrates. Did you stirr well? If you try TNP, it may be quite a bit less messy.
aaronkrieg1
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 14:15

The nitrating bath was added dropwise, so I could see the dark brown forming early in the nitration. I thought I did alright on a consistent stir, but i didn't have help this time, so it was a little tougher. TNP huh? Interesting. Maybe my next encounter, but I never like to leave a project unfinished.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 14:51

Making nitobenzene by nitrating toluene, I may have missed something here.

I never asked for this.
aaronkrieg1
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 15:53

Whoops, my mistake, I've corrected it

Go To Top