Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Education in the US - ChemE, OrgChem
Nickdul
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2013 at 12:47
Education in the US - ChemE, OrgChem

I'm from Bulgaria and I'm thinking of applying to some colleges/universities in the United States. I suppose a lot of members here have degrees in Chemistry, probable even some with PhDs, so I hope my questions are not out of line here:
1. Which offers more career opportunities - Chemical Engineering or Organic Synthesis and Research? What about graduate and postgraduate prospects? What is your personal experience?
2. What would be a good university or college to study Chemistry in and receive a good practical and theoretical foundation? Should I be looking solely at the ranks of Johns Hopkins, University of Pennsylvania, and Ivy Leagues; where did you receive your education?
I know that the answers to each of these can be very complicated and lengthy in full; I just wonder what people who share a passion for chemistry think :)
Cheers,
Nick
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 19-11-2013 at 13:33

The difference between a curriculum in Chem E and one in organic chem is a very big one. From an academic point the choice would very much depend on your interests and abilities.

Chem E's have traditionally had BS degree starting salaries at the top. Also I think the demand (ability to get a job right out of school) has been the best also.

I think most state schools and the ivy league schools all will provide you the opportunity to get a good education. Ivy league gives you prestige plus probably stiffer competition with your fellow students. The prestige of the ivy league and other prestigious schools might give you better entre into certain job sectors.

This is the opinion of an old chemical engineer. I would like to hear the opinions of the younger graduates.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Nickdul
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-11-2013 at 11:59

Thanks, Magpie! I hope we can get a discussion going.
...I've heard from others that there possibly could be a demand for organic research scientists.
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 20-11-2013 at 13:27

I'm also interested even though college is a long ways away. Although I'd be interested to hear some otions centered around inorganic chemistry (I don't like organic as much).

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
Ascaridole
Hazard to Self

Mood: Searching for glass....

[*] posted on 20-11-2013 at 15:02

If your looking for a career in research look for professors that are doing things that interest you and apply to the college they are at. e-mail them and submit a resume or curriculum vitae and ask if you could visit and see if thats what you are really interested in doing, if not ask them if they know of other professors that are doing things you like.

Just remember professors are busy people but they love their work and are for the most part excited to share their love with other.

Also just remember, its not where you go but what you make of it that counts. I know professors who attended small universities with "marginal" chem departments but put their best foot forward and published some nice works and landed nice grants from uncle sam and the private sector.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 20-11-2013 at 16:04

There are lots of very skilled organic chemists out of work at the moment due to downsizing. My personal vote would be to go for a ChemE, I feel there is more demand in that field. The US department of labor does compile a prospectus on the future employment needs in fields of study and specific occupations, it might prove useful to check that out. When I first went into chemistry I actually was looking at doing geology, but I didn't think there would be any money in it, it was only after I graduated that the oil boom really hit and I realized I would have been making triple my salary in that career. I like what I do but I would like it even more if I were making triple the pay.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Nickdul
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-11-2013 at 00:02

Thank you for the suggestions, guys. I'll be applying to only a few Ivy League schools, since I'm hoping for a substantial financial aid, so less competitive (application-wise) universities are at the top of my list for now.
I realize that in the first few years in university I won't be doing a lot of labwork, although that is what I enjoy the most - a hands-on practical approach to education.

Go To Top