Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recovery of sulfuric acid from nitrations
garage chemist
chemical wizard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2004 at 11:27
Recovery of sulfuric acid from nitrations

When doing nitrations, do you always water down the acid, extract the product and pour the dilute acids down the drain?
I don't want to waste sulfuric acid, so I'm thinking about how to recover it from spent nitration mix.
With NC, it seems simple: squeeze the acid out of the nitrated cotton, distill remaining dilute nitric acid from it and then boil it down to get conc. H2SO4 again. The problem here lies in squeezing out the cotton: the fibers hold the acid very tight and it's much harder to squeeze out than squeezing water out of cotton. You also need an apparatus to squeeze it out. I have a perforated ceramic plate which is perfect for this. The squeezing is done with the bottom of a jam- jar.
I once tried to squeeze out the NC with my hands wearing gloves: the gloves turned into yellow goo in a few seconds. My bare hands are more resistant to acid!

With NG, it is also possible to recover all of the H2SO4. When the nitration is finished (all glycerine added and reaction finished) the NG slowly floats to the top. It takes long, but if you let the mix stand for a few days, the acid and NG separate completely. Just draw off the upper layer (NG) with a pipette and recycle the acid as described before (NG is insoluble in the acid, so don't worry when you heat it).

These procedures of course only work if HNO3 + H2SO4 is used. With xnitrate + H2SO4, the H2SO4 is lost.

Now, does anybody have an idea about how to recover the H2SO4 from a batch of TNP? The watering down of the acid seems necessary to precipitate the TNP. But I think that the industrial method of TNP production recovers the H2SO4 somehow. Does someone know how this is done?
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2004 at 11:47

Just off the top of my head, I think there may be something about it in Ullman's or Othmer's.
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

Mood: Aliphatic

[*] posted on 30-10-2004 at 12:46

you could precipitate barium nitrate then filter out the sulfuric

Check out my political blog and click lots of ads:
http://www.independent-thinkers.blogspot.com
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2004 at 13:08

Wrong; adding a soluble Ba salt would result in precipitation of BaSO4 as a highly insoluble powder.

John W.
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

Mood: Aliphatic

[*] posted on 30-10-2004 at 13:43

right. sorry, i was (and still am) really tired and was incorrect. my most sincere apologies are extended unto you

Check out my political blog and click lots of ads:
http://www.independent-thinkers.blogspot.com
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 30-10-2004 at 15:27

That depends, was the TNP made by phenol+sulfuric+nitric or ASA+nitric +sulfuric or ASA + xnitrate+sulfuric. Any of the ASA methods will also have acetic acid as a contaminant.

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-10-2004 at 02:48

" (NG is insoluble in the acid, so don't worry when you heat it). "
OK, but can I worry about the side products instead please?
I havn't tried this but I suspect that ther would be enough other trash present that, at best, you would end up with a lot of nitrous fumes to deal with .
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 31-10-2004 at 05:11

Why not just add a nitrate and extract nitric acid? This way, nothing but the H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> should matter.

Go To Top