Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alkalide Anions
thebean
Hazard to Others

Mood: Deprotonated

[*] posted on 6-12-2013 at 08:13
Alkalide Anions

After reading a post about metalloids as anions, I saw that there are alkali metal anions. For example sodides/natrides, potassides/kalides. I can't find anything that goes into detail on synthesis of any of these but I've found some interesting articles. This goes into interesting detail about "inverse sodium hydride" where they have H+ ions and Na- ions. If anyone has experience with these compounds I like to here about your synthesis route and the properties of the compound.

"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things."
-Henry Rollins
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 6-12-2013 at 09:18

I've never worked with them, but they are extremely reactive reducing agents. You have to choose your solvents and counterions with care.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2013 at 14:06

They are extremely unstable. I have made Na+Na-, K+K- and Li+Li-. The potasside and sodide has a really characteristic blue color, when I made the lithide(?) I haven't observed any color change, just that the lithium granulates got shiny and the reaction what I planned happened.

I would highly recommend this really inspiring article from crown ethers written by Charles J. Pedersen. On the first page he mentions a few article where they describe the blue coloration when potassium was boiled with polyethers. This could be a good starting point for your research.

I made these alkalides by adding alkali metals to dilute crown ether solutions in abs. tetrahydrofuran at room temperatures. Since the potasside and the sodide is really reactive, on room temperature they only exist near to the surface of the metal, because they react with the THF forming KOCH2CH2CH2CH2K.

They work as superbases and could be easily used for organic chemistry, I personally used them instead of BuLi and most of them worked well. If you have any questions about these, feel free to ask.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Tetrakis
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2013 at 22:15

In my lab, a coworker is trying to synthesize an anionic chromium arene complex via progressive reduction. Coordinating ions have caused serious problems in his chemistry, and I was wondering if there might be a way to quantify the amount of reducing reagent you talk about. I suggested he use an electride, but their isolation (seemed, from a brief literature survey) to require low temperature precipitation from ammonia and an expensive cryptand. Clearly the ammonia makes this route unacceptable and low temperature evaporation of ammonia is problematic as well.

What kind of success did you have working with these alkalides/electrides? Were you able to quantify the losses, and if so what kind of yields did you get with respect to the alkali?

Go To Top