Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Others experience with Lab courses
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 17:19
Others experience with Lab courses

I have just finished my 2nd chem course at my local college (small one), and while the instructor was very well educated (Dr., worked at ORNL during Manhattan Project, multiple classified papers/patents and a few un-classified ones etc.), and besides the fact that he's at least 80, and his teaching tended to wander at times... anyway...

When it came to the Lab part of the course, it was almost entirely theoretical!

The previous chem was all theoretical in chem class then following it up with hands on in the lab. We were in the lab Every Lab class, however, with this guy, out of 14 weeks, we only spent FOUR actual sessions in the lab, with the rest paperwork with online tests. I was very dissapointed to say the least.

Of course because of my hobby I was always the "go to guy" for questions and became the classes un-official TA, and was asked several times if I worked in this field (mainly from skill/familiarity with lab equipment.) LOL :P

Anyhow...

Wanted to see how others in beginning chem's instructors handled their coursework & lab sessions.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 17:53

When I took beginning chem we had very simple labs..."what happens when you put copper in silver nitrate" simple. Organic was a bit better with basic synthesis, but the general chem was horrible.

But these days the best teacher of practical chemistry at the undergrad level will be a home lab.

Go To Top