Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Arecoline extraction
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 30-1-2014 at 09:43

Arecoline is an ester- a strong base like sodium hydroxide could hydrolyze it to the sodium salt of arecaidine. Try extracting the arecoline with a solvent that's immiscible with water (arecoline is soluble in chloroform; that might work). The only trouble is that arecoline is very water-soluble, so you'd need a lot of salt in the water to drive it into the organic phase.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
30-1-2014 at 09:55
metalayer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-1-2014 at 12:55

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Arecoline is an ester- a strong base like sodium hydroxide could hydrolyze it to the sodium salt of arecaidine. Try extracting the arecoline with a solvent that's immiscible with water (arecoline is soluble in chloroform; that might work). The only trouble is that arecoline is very water-soluble, so you'd need a lot of salt in the water to drive it into the organic phase.

Chloroform is difficult for me to obtain, any other suggestions for solvents? DCM failed so badly (arecoline solubility was shit) I think it might have been a mistake in the article.

Regarding freebasing with NaOH - could it work with a weak solution? I found an article with this procedure -

Quote:

The free base of arecoline was prepared and purified by repeated extraction of aqueous arecoline hydrobromide solution (adjusted to pH 10 by 2M NaOH) with petroleum ether [20]. All other chemicals and solvents were of analytical reagent grade. (Formulation optimization of arecoline patches,Pao-Chu Wu et al)
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 30-1-2014 at 15:49

I don't see why using sodium hydroxide solution should be a problem. You can minimize ester hydrolysis by basifying slowly with good mixing, keeping the solution cool during addition of hydroxide, and extracting soon after the desired pH is reached.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top