Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Pressurized Gas production.
chief
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2009 at 12:57

If NH4NO3 reacts with K2CO3 and the "unstable" carbonate decomposes, why doesn't it work the same way with Na2CO3 ? I recall threads here where people made NaNO3 from hardware-store NH4NO3-fertilizer, and they were talking about boiling it quite extensively ..., nothing about a violent reaction ... ???
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 17-2-2009 at 13:09

Its a shame that I wasnt around for this threed back in the day. I was going to suggest and endothermic and an exothermic reaction powering a stirling engine. Im no engineer thats for damn sure but some one working in collage could figure out the energy required to go the distance I would assume.

Sucks to hear you lost the race man:( Still a sweet little car you had there.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2009 at 12:06

Its funny I stumbled on this post actually because other day I was at work day dreaming, and I started imagining a new concept engine. Basically what I was thinking of is designing an internal combustion engine that utilizies the detonation of a high explosive to expand the cylinder at a very fast rate which would result in a very radical amount of horse power. Yes you heard correctly, I'm wondering if there is a way to take the energy released from the detonation of an energetic material and convert it into mechanical energy. I just dont know if there is any material that you could make a chamber out of that would not deform from the shock of a detonation. Possibly titanium? and for fuel I was considering the detonation of nitromethane.

N/A
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 18-2-2009 at 12:40

Nitromethane is used mixed in engines all the time, I would think that what your suggesting would be more modification of the engine so that the seals and gaskets could take a higher amount of abuse without blowing out. Im sure if one looked into it you could find a mass of research done by people to improve the amount of nitro they could add to the mix without destroying there engine.

As for deforming, would there be a way to waste alot of the energy out of a seperate area as to govern the amount of stress put on the piston and cylinder? Like a relief valve of sorts would be the first thing that comes to mind.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2009 at 12:49

the whole idea is to be able to convert all the energy from the explosion to mechanical energy. using a release valve to vent off extra pressure would be a waste of energy. Further more the type of engine im trying to conceptualize isn't your typical "alcohol" engine that runs on nitromethane. In an "alcohol" engine nitromethane is used in mixture with methonal, and these engines ignite a fuel air mixture which cause a small controlled "explosion" very similar to the way that standard gasoline engines work. The reason that "alcohol" engines have so much horse power is because a nitromethane/methonal mixture is a very volitile mixture and it burns much more efficently than standard gasoline or "petroleum" for you Euros out there. What im proposing is an engine that runs off the detonation of an engergetic material. It doesn't have to be nitromethane, it could be mercury fulminate for example. This is totally different from iginting a fuel air mixture in a starndard internal combustion engine.

[Edited on 18-2-2009 by tom haggen]

N/A
zephram
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2009 at 21:34

Probably to late to be useful now but looking back to the question that started this guanidine nitrate sprung to mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanidine_nitrate
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2009 at 23:26

If you look at the thermodynamics of engines, I think that you will find that there's very little difference between conventional fuel/air detonation systems and those using self-contained explosives. Increases in power output are obtained through higher temperature of combustion, and denser fuel/air mixtures. Remember air is ~4/5 N2, which contributes little outside of thermal expansion, certainly nothing to the energy content. Nitromethane provides more oxygen per volume than air, as does 'nitrous' - N2O having N:O ration of 2:1 compared to 4:1 for air.

Explosive fueled engines have been built in the past, going back to those using gunpowder. None ever proved practical or very efficient, a significant portion of the explosion energy is lost in none reversible processes.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top