Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Homemade carbon fiber heating tape/mantle
Nickdul
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 04:15
Homemade carbon fiber heating tape/mantle

I'm not sure if this is a novel idea or is it viable at all, but I just discovered a quick and dirty way to get carbon filaments and succeeded in making simple heating elements using it.
I had some broken carbon fishing rods and extracted the carbon fibers by chucking them in a coal fire to burn out the bonding agents and get to the delaminated layers of carbon cloth in them. I ended up with long thin strips that I intend to use for another project, but at first I checked resistivity and connected them to a variable DC source. I could easily get 5-8 inch strands to heat up to red hot without breaking. Wrapped around a test tube with no insulation, 12V@1.5-2Amps, they quickly boiled water.
I haven gotten around to weaving them into some fiberglass cloth for a DIY mantle/hotplate, but I don't see why it would be impossible to do. The result should be a thin, nonmagnetic heating cloth that could be used with magnetic stirrers or wrapped around RBFs. I'm thinking of either a low-volatge, high current setup with parallel connections, or get the fibers wired up in series and use a variac, dimmer switch to control the power. It's a fairly simple idea and I couldn't find any similar projects on the web, so I though I'd share.
Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 17:56

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-03282006-1011...

Ignoring, for a second, the fact that this author is using some polymer resin/carbon fibre composite(and therefore is restricted to temps below 200*C) the sheer detail and amount of useful information in that link is pretty impressive.
Nickdul
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-12-2013 at 04:04

Thanks for referencing to that document. I currently am up to my neck in university application work, but I'll make sure to examine it and do some actual testing. I feel that the idea is worth considering, especially because carbon fibers are flexible and it seems easy to make mantles and heating pads without having to wind meters of nichrome wire.
Nickdul
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-12-2013 at 15:55

Proof-of-concept tests were carried out. Carbon fiber strands of fixed length and varying cross section area were tested with DC voltage between 5 and 12v. It has become clear that proper contact between the carbon fibre strips and conducting copper wire/plates is essential.
The material handles high temperatures well and begins to lose weight after prolonged heating above 350C. Strands of cross section between 1 and 4 mm^2 were tested and all were found capable of handling up to 4.5W/cm over a period of at least 12h without variations in resistance or weight.
A very crude hotplate was improvised on a ceramic tile 10cmX10cm wide. Woven 300g/m^2 fiberglass cloth was cut to size and 6 10cm strips of carbon fiber were stapled to it and connected in parallel with bare copper wire, once again using regular paper staples as a means of attachment. This was laid on the tile, covered with a thin fiberglass layer and a 2mm thick aluminum plate. Power at 12V - 120W (approx. 45% of tested possible capacity) , holding steady for about 10min. However, the method of attachment caused improper contact between the carbon elements and the copper wire, so that needs to be sorted next.

[Edited on 29-12-2013 by Nickdul]
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

Mood: manic

[*] posted on 30-12-2013 at 23:14

Very interesting, keep up the good work!

Go To Top