Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: too many posts sent to detritus
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 22:48
too many posts sent to detritus

This will probably end up in detritus. I have noticed more posts being sent to detritus of late and it seems that some mods are sending posts there because they don't: a) like the poster, b) like the topic though it doesn't violate any rule as I understand them. Let's not become a bunch of school-marms and nannies. Please.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
GoldGuy
Harmless

Mood: Not sure if awake or in a dream where Im trying to fully awake.

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 02:20
Here here...

Ive noticed that myself. I think it does keep the site content at a higher quality however... I noticed as long as you state facts and not your personal opinions chances are it wont get sent to hell. I think the mods do an impecable job I just really hope they let us know where they draw the line so we know how to not get our topics deleted.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 04:06

To my understanding there are no rules, just guidelines, and posts sent to detritus are not deleted, only locked and on display as "what not to do." Personally, I have enjoyed the extra fastidiousness, and after a quick look through detritus I would say those threads are well placed.

Agian, just my opinion chemrox.

[Edited on 6-1-2014 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 05:04

I've been feeling that I've been sending too many posts to Detritus myself, lately. In fact, I just commented on it yesterday in the IRC channel. After reviewing the posts, however, I still think that most (if not all) of them belong there. Posts which advocate obviously illegal activity (<a href="viewthread.php?tid=28308">example</a>;), sarcastically provide dangerous advice, or are 100% off-topic and contain no valuable information (<a href="viewthread.php?tid=28333#pid314203">example</a>;) may be sent there.

I put careful consideration into splitting and moving each post, but I'm always willing to admit my mistakes or reconsider my actions. If you would like an explanation for any moves in particular, please feel free to U2U me (I'm sure the other moderators are willing to do likewise).

[edit]
Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
This will probably end up in detritus.
Let's try to avoid this sort of cynical and negative attitude.

[Edited on 6.1.14 by bfesser]

papaya
National Hazard

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 06:08

Not a complain, but I want to know why the TNT thread was closed without any notification?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 06:17

It was getting to much into practical applications of EM. Strictly agianst the guidelines. I bet if you U2Ued the mod who moved it, he would be happy to elaborate.

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
papaya
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 06:22

It was not even my post and I can't remember any practical weapon-making discussion there, nor I'm going to U2U on this subject. Still I want to see the question answered here.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 06:33

Oh, I see now it wasn't moved, but just closed. My guess, it had veered from its original goal and to the kewl side. If you dont care enough to ask in a message, then I dont know what to tell you.

papaya
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 06:36

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Oh, I see now it wasn't moved, but just closed. My guess, it had veered from its original goal and to the kewl side. If you dont care enough to ask in a message, then I dont know what to tell you.

You don't have to answer, it's not you who closed, isn't it? :cool:
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 08:33

Sorry, I closed <a href="viewthread.php?tid=28217">that one</a> and had forgotten to add an explanation. This pretty much sums it up:
Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
My guess, it had veered from its original goal and to the kewl side.
These comments led to my decision to close the topic:
Quote:
I'm sorry for the fail bro, how was your blast cap made?
. . .
Bad luck bro.
"Make it strong enough and then make it twice as strong"
-John Moses Browning
Quote:
Good advice Ral123, make it powerful.
In addition to the snickering and overall 'kewlishness' in the video.

If you want to discuss something at least a little scientific or thoughtful, that's fine. But if you want to laugh at and praise big explosions, go elsewhere&mdash;YouTube, apparently.

[edit] P.S. Don't be surprised if topics from Energetic Materials (EM) where "fail" is used as a noun in close proximity with "bro" end up closed. You're exemplifying 'k3wl-speak'. Try to maintain at least a semblance of maturity, particularly in EM.

[2nd edit] I don't like to intervene in that forum, so rather than splitting out the posts which I thought were bad, I locked the topic and left it to the more EM-specific moderators. Unfortunately, they seem to be either inactive at the moment or just unwilling to do their part. I <em>can</em> prune or split the topic, but you probably wouldn't like what remains. Think of this as a compromise.

Finally, maybe we should be thinking of the trend as a lot more rubbish being posted lately rather than a lot more being sent to the rubbish bin. Perhaps we can look at this from an optimist's perspective, and take it as an opportunity to improve the forum atmosphere by contributing quality posts.

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 08:48

I was a bit curious about mine, anybody with the tiniest amount of common sense would know that I was kidding. Just keeping the mood light.

after that I stated: But seriously... and provided a valid and safe way to dispose of waste.

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 09:00

<a href="viewthread.php?tid=28308">This?</a>
Quote:
But seriously: sort waste into bottles and label them (Hg containing, heavy metals, solvents, Cl- solvents, acids, bases,...) and then leave them in a dump yard, clearly labelled. that way you don't pay the ridiculous prices of proper disposal, the dump has to
It should be obvious to "anybody with even the tiniest amount of common sense" that not all visitors to this site have even "even the tiniest amount of common sense." Also, what you proposed as a "valid and safe way to dispose of waste" is not only unethical but also likely illegal in many jurisdictions. You have no way of knowing that they'll even dispose of the waste properly, themselves.

[edit] Since you seem to be unsure about this, I"ll re-word it for you:
<em>Post crap and you will see it end up in Detritus or deleted outright.</em>

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 11:11

I made a comment along these lines about the moderation being a little to harsh lately and low and behold that relatively innocent comment was also sent to detritus. I never said it to bust any ones balls just to make light of the situation.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 12:00

well, opinions differ.

next time when I make a joke I will do this: [joke]...[joke/] ok?

Just about every solvent used in the home lab can be put with paint waste, heavy metals go with batteries,... as a dump they are obligated to dispose of it properly.

but I stop arguing here...

[Edited on 6-1-2014 by Pyro]

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 12:07

I agree with GoldGuy and Bot0nist, although chemrox does raise a fair point. Just a thought: Maybe there should be an official thread for complaints? This would tend to cut down on the clutter associated with various members opening new topics to express themselves. At the same time, I can see how it would be misused...

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 13:00

Sedit, I sent <a href="viewthread.php?tid=27846">that post</a> to detritus half for the replies aimed at insulting you, and half for the "super cop" jab.

elementcollector1, complaints will be read regardless of whether there's a dedicated topic. I don't think it'd help much with the clutter, but that's just my opinion.

chemaddict
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 01:31

Yer

i have been coming here and the hive for more than 20 years but
i hardy even bother coming to the site any more.
like i said before there is to many big heads here that get of on sending posts to detritus because they don't meet the sites requirements .
And not only that ! if you look you will see that the questions in posts that have been sent to detritus by moderators because they don't meet the sites rules these same questions have been asked by the same moderators back in the early days but i suppose that was before they seen the light.
If they spent as much time stopping spam as they do jumping on peoples posts the site would be much better, but they are not really interested helping people that have far less knowledge then
them they just like to be big heads.

I rest my case chemical forum hasn't got spam
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 03:24

@chemaddict: if people stuck to the posting guidelines then the mods would have more time to deal with other stuff... but some posters don't bother informing themselves on the rules/guidelines. or just seem determined to post fragments of incoherent thought and out right crap. I would always prefer to have fewer and better content, over numerous half baked posts that can easily lead to dangerous situations and possibly legal consequences.

like it has been said before, if the poster cant take the time to put the idea in the proper format aiming to learn, then why should I bother wasting my time by replying? the bar is set pretty low on effort required to count as a legitimate post (not meant to be derogatory). it's just that you don't have to be a genius to try and lay out a little info.

and if you want to do even less, there is the beginnings section. no citing, basic questions and limited understanding are fine. plenty of members take time to field questions from those who know less than them here. most the time all accomplished in a friendly encouraging manner.

just my two cents. but if you wanna advocate playing it fast and lose, anything goes posting... then how do you discuss touchy subjects with any level of scientific spirit that sets you apart from illegal cooks and wannabe explosives manufacture's. and what happens when YOU put time into a thread that YOU want quality feed back from, just to see it go to a big steaming pile of crap??? because I would be pissed

-Violet Sin-
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 06:21

chemaddict, you're welcome to leave, if you like. Frankly, in your case, I encourage it. There are plenty of other places on the internet for unmoderated chemistry discussion. For the type of discussion you seem to prefer, I'd suggest the YouTube comments section and <em>Yahoo!</em> Answers.

First, this site hasn't existed for the 20 years that you claim. Second, I feel confident in speaking for all the moderators when I say that we don't relish or get any enjoyment whatsoever out of sending posts to Detritus. Frankly, it's a pain in the ass. The process is tedious and writing the corresponding U2Us to those members is dull and repetitive. Also, we'd much rather see active discussion and collaboration than closed and trashed posts.

Third, your assumptions about what we moderators do are far from the truth. On an average day, I personally spend much of my Science Madness time doing internet and lit. research for my own replies, replying to U2Us, and digging through old posts looking for good topics to add to my compendium. Of course, there's a fraction of time that's spent removing spam&mdash;I'd like to see you point some out.

But, the one thing I seem to be spending most of my time on lately has been answering questions in the Beginnings section. One of my main interests in this site has always been to share my excitement and love for chemistry (and allied sciences) with others, and to encourage and assist those just starting out.

Finally, in response to your assertion that the moderators 'have big heads', I'd like to point out this example of your own arrogance:
Quote: Originally posted by chemaddict  
Well i won't be coming back to this forum it is full of control freaks ,and ignorant an rude people.
. . .
nicodem
I'm pretty sure you did not read the threads I pointed you to. Either that or you did not understand the discussions.
As for people like you, who only seem to contribute posts when they have something to criticize or complain about; <em>don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.</em>

P.S. This time, don't come back.

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 01:32

Dany made a post yesterday that had the video of a nuclear test shot. Anyone care to comment why it disappeared? It didn't even make into detrius.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 01:42

hyfalcon" found it, had to look for my comment. it was merged with something, didn't stop to read the thread name
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=25...

that was awesome and I was hoping it wasn't gone too :D
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 02:56

Thanks vs. I was afraid it was on the editing floor.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 05:59

Sorry, I forgot to send you a U2U when I amoeba'd that one&mdash;I hope you don't mind the merge. Great find, by the way!

chemaddict
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 02:11

hi violet sin

I have posted many questions with all the scientific spirit possible
and has made no difference ,because when you mention any precursor chemical from that point on you are treated as a drug cook which is a joke.
And as for b fusser the twenty years that i spoke about was not just here as i was a member at the hive in the early days,and no i am not a drug cook if i was i would of done it a long time ago and i think there is much more to offer in chemistry than making something as simple as amphetamines.
But i would have to say at the hive everyone got on together and there was hardly an bitching not like here

But than again you had great people there like rhodium , osmium and bright star and many others that treated you with respect and didn't jump to conclusions

and fusser the door will hit me up the ass when i am ready
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 03:23

I thought you were leaving and not coming back exactly a year ago:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=25853#...

Is this your celebration of the anniversary?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top