Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Extracting protocatechualdehyde from Salvia miltiorrhiza (danshen)
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 00:38
Extracting protocatechualdehyde from Salvia miltiorrhiza (danshen)

I happened across a couple of 1kg bags of Salvia miltiorrhiza (danshen) at a local Chinese herb shop so I spent $20.00 and brought it home. I have cut and blended the roots into a fine powder and am presently at the point where I am considering the next step. As I intend on conducting an aqueous extract of the root powder I have decided that, instead of pulling out the glassware, I would put use to my pressure cooker and lightly boil the whole mass with the occasional swirl for about half an hour. I think using the pressure cook will make the clean up a much less tiresome affair. After which I intend to decant what can be decanted and vacuum filter the remnant solution through a 2000ml fine glass frit funnel layered with a few cm of diatomaceous earth to protect the frit from any potential mess. After which, I figured I would flash distill the filtrate under reduced pressure to a more manageable level, re-filter separate a 50ml tester portion of filtrate add sodium metabisulfite solution and attempt to separate off protocatechualdehyde via bisulfite adduct?

I am wondering if anyone has attempted this extraction or if anyone might have any info. on relative protocatechualdehyde content of danshen root. I welcome any feedback or suggestions I will probably have the time to do the practical work in a week or so. I intend to post my results and or any procedural modifications as a result of advice or further advances in my understanding of current methodologies, as this truly is a bit of a blind run.

Best regards.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
8-1-2014 at 06:27

Go To Top