Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chinese Hydroquinone Production
thebean
Hazard to Others

Mood: Deprotonated

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 19:28
Chinese Hydroquinone Production

While reading about hydroquinone on Wikipedia I noticed that there is a synthesis carried out industrially only in China (I'm guessing because the procedure has some dangerous intermediates) but it seemed useful to the home chemist. First aniline is oxidized by manganese dioxide to produce 1,4 benzoquinone. The 1,4 benzoquinone is then reduced (Wikipedia didn't name a specific reducing agent) to hydroquinone. I'm going to give it a go sometime soon for the purpose of producing both hydroquinone as well as 1,4 benzoquinone. I'll experiment with various reducing agents and report back soon hopefully.

"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things."
-Henry Rollins
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 19:39

not totally helpful, but I found a few 1lb jars of hydroquinone at a small town photography shop. been there so long they were offering them half price. check in your area if you need some perhaps. I know that this won't help with production at all, but 7.50$/lb not too bad. kinda old so I'm not sure it would be pure any more, but Kodak brand :)

they only had two and I passed but meant to go back for them. only bought 1lb jar of potassium persulfate 7.50$. they also had jars of sodium metabisulfite and a bunch of powder pouches and various tins or jars of useful stuff. but just the 3 types of pure chems. everything else would have needed separation. I was looking for some thiosulfate but no.
gravityzero
Hazard to Self

Mood: forgetful

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 20:32

Good luck with your research and post any results. It looks like your on the right path. I looked into this a few years ago and was going to go down the same pathway from aniline to 1,4 p-benzoquinone.

I never went through the process, but the literature makes it appear to be relatively straightforward.

For what it is worth, I also recall the purification of benzoquinone as being from sublimation. I would like to get a sublimation apparatus one day, but a makeshift setup is easy enough and effective.
Nickdul
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 23:42

Quinone is easily reduced to HQ via sodium bisulfite, IIRC. Yields are quantitative. I'm actually doing the opposite, oxidizing HQ to quinone and then attempting a reductive sulphonation back to a dihydroxybenzene sulphonic acid salt.
This could be helpful:
the first 4-5 pages discuss production methods

Attachment: Pages from 78-155b.pdf (379kB)
This file has been downloaded 400 times

Go To Top