Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Photoreaction of Br2 and Benzoyl peroxide?
swintarka
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-1-2014 at 10:50
Photoreaction of Br2 and Benzoyl peroxide?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if mixture of Br2 and benzoyl peroxide would yield benzoyl bromide and oxygen upon irradiation with visible light? If no, then what products would be formed?

This is a purely theoretical question, that has been bothering me from some time.

I am acutely conscious that this reaction could be potentially very dangerous and result in sudden explosion and spreading of highly toxic gases and should not be attempted without appropriate shielding and other precautions.

Thanks for any help.

[Edited on 20-1-2014 by swintarka]
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
20-1-2014 at 11:03
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20-1-2014 at 11:15

Quote: Originally posted by swintarka  
I was wondering if mixture of Br2 and benzoyl peroxide would yield benzoyl bromide and oxygen upon irradiation with visible light?

I don't see any mechanism for such a decomposition. What references do you have for suggesting it that way?
The most likely pathway is via the benzoyl peroxide homolysis which would yield bromobenzene and CO2 as the prevalent products (and probably a few others). For example, the thermal reaction between Bz2O2 and I2 in benzene gives a mixture of iodobenzene, phenyl benzoate (probably via the reaction with the solvent) and benzoic acid (see DOI: 10.1039/P29830000711). With an inert solvent solvent, the iodobenzene would probably be the major product. The thermal decomposition of Bz2O2 proceeds homolytically just like the photochemical one, so it should make little difference.

Welcome to the forum and please read the forum guidelines. Also, open topics without references and other beginner's questions only in the Beginnings section.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
swintarka
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-1-2014 at 11:59

Thanks!
I should've thought about radical decarboxylation.
chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2014 at 06:38

So what would the mechanism be?
1)C6H5-CO-O-O-CO-C6H5 ->2 C6H5-CO-O. because the weak bond is O-O bond, not the C-OO bond, so no benzoyl radical should be formed;
(x2) C6H5-CO-O. + Br2 - no reaction, right? Hypobromite anhydride should be an unfavourable reaction product
2) C6H5-CO-O. -> C6H5. + CO2... somehow a favourable reaction
3) C6H5. + Br2 -> C6H5Br+Br.
What next? Does Br atom remain stable till another phenyl radical forms, or is it active enough to attack benzoyl peroxide by radical substitution or addition?

Go To Top