Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: parabola aproximation with stright line
Mildronate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ruido sintetico

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 00:27
parabola aproximation with stright line

How to transform quadtratic equation (in form y=ax^2+bx+c) to linear?
DutchChemistryBox
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 04:42

What do you exactly want? Do you want to find the points of intersection?

Because if you really want quadratic equation > linear equation you are going to have a bad time. You can't make paraboles with a linear function.

[Edited on 15-2-2014 by DutchChemistryBox]

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
15-2-2014 at 05:22
Mildronate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ruido sintetico

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 10:13

I want to make parabola graph to straight line. If i have equation y=ax^2+c i can plot y=f(z) plot, where z=x^2, but how to do it with y=ax^2+bx+c is it possible? Why tread was removed from computing sections?
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 12:54

Quote: Originally posted by Mildronate  
I want to make parabola graph to straight line. If i have equation y=ax^2+c i can plot y=f(z) plot, where z=x^2, but how to do it with y=ax^2+bx+c is it possible? Why tread was removed from computing sections?

If you set b'=b/2a and c'=c-b2/4a2 then y=ax2+bx+c becomes y=a(x+b')2+c'. Set z=(x+b')2 and you get y=az+c'.

But seriously - this is so incredibly elementary that I don't think this is the right place.

Edit: and this has nothing to do with "approximation". If you want to approximate a parabola at a certain point, you calculate the tangent, which is trivially done by derivation.

[Edited on 15-2-2014 by turd]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2014 at 08:37

The question isn't well enough defined for turd's algebra to answer.
For example, take the parabola y=x2

Over the range -.1 to .1 it's flat on average and the best approximation is something like y=0.005 (The linear term is zero)

Near x=10 the best linear approximation will be a steep upward line (The linear term is large + positive)
Near x= -10 it will slope downwards. (The linear term is large + negative)
So there's no simple way to say what the "best" approximation is.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 00:19

You only can get a reasonable linear approximation over a small range. Unionised's post explains why. For a given continuous and differentiable function f(x), a decent approximation around a point x0 is A(x) = f(x0) + f'(x0)*(x-x0). Here A(x) is the approximation and f'(x0) is the first derivative of the function f at the value x0. The approximation is exact in x0 and may be quite good near x0, but what is 'good' and 'near' depends on your context. The quality of the approximation can also be estimated, this requires higher derivatives of the function f.

[Edited on 17-2-14 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 05:16

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
The question isn't well enough defined for turd's algebra to answer.

Actually I think post #319258 defined the question pretty unambiguously - the question was what variable substitution gets you from a second order polynomial to a linear expression.

As I noted upthread the word "approximation" was a red herring. Thus the discussion on derivatives is off topic and not very enlightening, because I would expect everybody with even the most basic scientific education to understand what a derivative is.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 07:20

@turd, now what you say might be true, but the question then is quite ill-posed. What is meant with "transform" when in the same sentence we have the word "approximation".

The second order expression f(x) = axx + bx + c can be transformed to any linear form over part of its interval by simply solving the equation f(x) = axx + bx + c = pX + q. Express x as function g of X and evaluate f(g(X)) and this will be linear in X. Expressing x as function of X is not very difficult, just use the standard formula for solving quadratic equations.

The expressions are quite ugly, but they are exact. For general f(x) the thing can be much more difficult, because you need to find the inverse of f(x) - pX + q with respect to x. Sometimes you can find good approximations by estimating f(x) by a linear or second order polynomial around a point x0 and then solving for x. The approximation then only is valid for values of x near x0.

turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 07:59

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
@turd, now what you say might be true, but the question then is quite ill-posed. What is meant with "transform" when in the same sentence we have the word "approximation".

Of course the question was terrible. But the post I'm referring to (the third in this thread) does not leave much room for interpretation.
Quote:
The second order expression f(x) = axx + bx + c can be transformed to any linear form over part of its interval by simply solving the equation f(x) = axx + bx + c = pX + q. Express x as function g of X and evaluate f(g(X)) and this will be linear in X. Expressing x as function of X is not very difficult, just use the standard formula for solving quadratic equations.

Or simply note, as I did above, that any parabola y=ax2+bx+c can be written in the form y=a(x+b')2+c'. No need for the quadratic formula. Of course it must read c'=c-b2/4a, not c'=c-b2/4a2 as I stated above.

That the question becomes more "interesting" for other analytical expressions or over finite rings is evident. ;)
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 10:15

@turd: You are right. The third post makes clear what the OP wanted. I should have read more carefully ;)

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 18-3-2014 at 18:25

OK, just think short intervals.

The slope changes with each short linear interval being the 1st derivative of the underlying function or estimate there of at the midpoint of the interval.The intercept is derived by requiring the next linear segment to pass through the last point of the prior segment:

Y -Yo = f'(Xm)*(X - Xo)

With enough short intervals, even a circle may still look like a circle :o.

Go To Top