Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reduction...
nannnndu
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 19:11
Reduction...

Reducing nitro group to amino group by using ammonium sulfide sounds better, but unable to remove the sulfur contents completely...could anyone help me out..

Nannnndu...
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 19:23

Please, don't double post, we heard you the first time.

And also, could we have some more information please?

What compound did you reduce and therefore what is your product? The physical properties of the product will better help us determine a viable way to separate it from the sulfur contaminates you speak of.

What contaminates are in the solution, sulfates, sulfides, elemental sulfur? And what have you already attempted to do in order to remove them. What is the reaction medium, are you performing this in a solvent. With the information you've given already all I can do is throw out broad topics.

Did you attempt to distill your product / sublime it / or recrystalize it?
Did you try a solvent extraction and if it's already solvated a solvent/solvent extraction?
Have you tried any chemical means to remove the sulfur through the precipitation of an insoluble product or other means, e.g., your product contains elemental sulfur, addition of mercury will remove it. Your product contains sulfates and sulfides, react with a strong reducing agent and heat to drive off H2S, although this defeats your preference for ammonium sulfide.
Have you tried cooling the mixture to precipitate out insolubles?
Bubbling air though it to drive off solvated gasses?

There are many options but they all depend on information we do not currently have, the old methodology goes, 'Help us help you'.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top