Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best yield for nitroglycerin
ecos
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning !

[*] posted on 13-3-2014 at 15:15
Best yield for nitroglycerin

Hi All,

I have H2SO4 (98% concentration), HNO3(68% concentration) and high percentage Glycerol.

what is the best ratios should i mix to get the max yield.

I made search and found the ratios of the acids should be 1:1

from another source:
H2So3 : HNO3 : Glycerol
1 : 1/2 : 1/4

please advise.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 13-3-2014 at 21:48

H2SO3?!

I advise you to download and read Phokion Naoum's Nitroglycerin and Nitroglycerin Explosives.

In the forum library, here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/library/books/nitroglycerine_e...

Which was recommended to you before when you asked what reading to do. It's all right there in black and white-

STOP STARTING USELESS THREADS ASKING TO BE SPOON FED.

Read the book, learn the underlying concepts, then do the math. Ask questions IN ONE OF THE MANY EXISTING, PERTINENT THREADS when you have at least TRIED.

[Edited on 14-3-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

ecos
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning !

[*] posted on 14-3-2014 at 00:35

Sorry for the typo , I meant H2SO4.

I already went through the book ! but the book mention the manufacture process with very high concentration of HNO3.

I would like how to calculate the new percentages with my current concentrations.

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-3-2014 at 03:45

This sounds worse than it is because these really are helpful books. But, have you ever checked out the chemistry and organic chemistry I and II "for dummies" book series? The definitely can help you answer your own questions like this.

You could always concentrate your nitric acid...
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 14-3-2014 at 08:39

Don't yet know the chemistry to understand processes or the mathematics to design your own to fit available materials? The place to start is by learning those things. If you don't care to learn and just want to blow something up, this is not the forum for you.

PLEASE do some research here of existing threads on your interests, then post your related questions to existing threads. You have asked nothing so far that has not been covered here before, were you too lazy to UTFSE? You are making an unnecessary clutter that will slow down later users.

Do you know WHY there is sulfuric acid in the mixture? Or where that water diluting the acid as the reaction goes on is coming from?

When you read the Naoum or Davis books for principles of the chemistry rather than as a cook book, you see optimized reactions of this type are set up to have a certain proportion of WATER and residual nitric acid in the mixture at the end. If you have a mixed acid at the start with more water than industry would, you will either need more sulfuric acid or less glycerin and nitric acid to reach the same proportions at the end.

Understand your process. Work the math. Quit asking for answers pre-chewed on a baby spoon, ask for the tools to find them yourself- And be happy with my mild criticisms, for you will never interact with the like of NBK2000.

http://www.news10.net/news/article/183813/2/Jury-returns-gui...

[Edited on 14-3-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 14-3-2014 at 15:15

Bert said it all.

Thread closed, and increase the quality of your posts, ecos, and you do not need to open a new thread for every question you have regarding NG.

[Edited on 14-3-14 by The_Davster]
The_Davster
A pnictogen
Thread Closed
14-3-2014 at 15:27

Go To Top