Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What sort of base is strong enough to deprotonate aldehydes but not ketones?
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 21:33
What sort of base is strong enough to deprotonate aldehydes but not ketones?

What kinds of bases would be best suited to deprotonate an aldehyde but not a ketone? For my particular reaction this is needed to prevent reaction of ketone products with initial substrates.

I read sodium carbonate is not strong enough to deprotonate a ketone, yet I have read of carbonates being used in various aldol condensations. It would seem sodium carbonate may be the perfect base for this purpose. Hydroxides are out of the question, it would seem. Organic bases are of potential interest due to a wide variety of PH levels. Any ideas?

This list is of interest:
http://www.aqion.de/site/191

[Edited on 23-3-2014 by FireLion3]
Galinstan
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 07:10

deprotonate a ketone? a carbonyl group doesn't have a hydrogen on it. do you mean a hydrogen on an ajasent carbon?
unless you are talking about an enol (the tautomer of a ketone)
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 13:40

Sodium carbonate might be, but under what conditions? Another often over-looked readily available semi-strong weak base is trisodium phosphate.

As I am sure you know this is a function of pKa or more generally acidity. So it depends largely on solvent, temperature, and fortunately or unfortunately structure. Some aldehyde a-hydrogens may be nearly equivalent to ketones with respect to their ability to donate protons. Sheesh some ketone a-hydrogens are about as acidic as acetic acid (see meldrums acid).

In general for acyclic carbonyl a-hydrogens solvents such as DMSO(hydrogen bond acceptor) their 'acidity' is decreased. Less polar aprotic solvents without the ability to accept hydrogen bonds (chloroform, etc...), the 'acidity' is increased. Sorry if that's phrased terribly or I'm confusing that with something else, I have a headache.

I assume you are planning to do some kind of nucleophilic substitution or addition reaction to an enolate? Could you provide more details about the potential substrates and products involved? There are many ways to go about this sort of thing to get a "high" yield for a desired product, but it really is reaction specific, and will likely still require some experimentation.

[Edited on 23-3-2014 by smaerd]

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 04:01

How about using an enol equivivalent that you can preform from the aldehyde, such as silyl enol ether or enamine?

Go To Top