Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Removing sulfuric acid from HgSO4
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 16:27
Removing sulfuric acid from HgSO4

I recently created HgSO4 in excess Sulfuric acid. I want to isolate the Mercury sulfate so I decanted the Sulfuric acid as best I can, but I want to remove the rest of it. I know that HgSO4 in water, so I cant wash the salt with that. Is there any anhydrous organic solvent I could use to remove the acid?

ps. I know how toxic mercury salts are and I am taking full precautions to avoid exposure.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Töilet Plünger
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 17:45

Is there a reason why you can't just rehydrate and boil down the solution?

blargish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Mode Push

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 18:27

Quote: Originally posted by Töilet Plünger  
Is there a reason why you can't just rehydrate and boil down the solution?

HgSO4 decomposes in water into sulfuric acid and some other compound that I am not sure of. (According to wikipedia, mercuric subsulfate)

BLaRgISH
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 19:40

Yes, So what I did was I washed it with acetone. Sulfuric acid forms some sort of milky white liquid with Acetone in heavy excess. Possibly oxidizes it? I simply kept washing the salt till the acetone wouldn't react with the residual H2SO4.

Nota Bene- I Tried placing some acetone into an excess of Sulfuric acid. What happened was over the course of 2 minutes the 98% sulfuric acid began to turn red, and the solution became hot. Very hot. Because I didn't want a run-away I diluted the mixture and poured it away.

Any thoughts of what the reaction of H2SO4 and Acetone produces?

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 19:49

All kinds of fun stuff.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/03045102898...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldol_condensation

Go To Top