Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemical formula for Olive oil which would you choose?
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 13:10
Chemical formula for Olive oil which would you choose?

Olive oil is a mixture of triglycerides: glycerin molecules with three attached fatty acids. In the case of olive oil, the fatty acid most commonly found attached to the glycerin is oleic acid. The chemical formula for a triglyceride with three oleic acids is C60H104O6.

OR

Wolfram Alpha C19H22O6

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 13:40

What exactly are you asking?
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 13:56

@thesmug

I think he's asking which formula is the correct one.

@CHRIS25

It's most likely the first one, Wolfram Alpha has lots of bugs. One of the compounds the second formula describes is gibberellic acid.(Useless knowledge I have for some unknown reason)

[Edited on 6-4-2014 by gdflp]
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 14:02

Oh ok then yes, the first one. I recognized that also but thought it might be some sort of isomer. Gibberellic acid is a growth hormone and a really effective one at that. You can make bizarre looking plants if you spray the seeds/water with gibberellic acid!
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 02:10

Yes thankyou. the wolfram alpha formula is for gibberellic acid which is nonsense - I will no longer trust wolfram alpha, pity, I used it quite often as a double check on any research I did.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)

Go To Top