Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitrogen trioxide
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 14-11-2002 at 19:13
Nitrogen trioxide

IodineForLunch noticed an entry for NO3 in his CRC handbook. According to the CRC handbook, NO3 is a bluish gas that decomposes at room temperature. I proceeded to dig around in one of my inorganic chemistry books, and found something of interest.

Many gas phase reactions of N2O5 depend on dissociation to NO2 and NO3, with the latter then reacting further as an oxidizing agent. These reactions ar among the better understood complex inorganic reactions. In the N2O5 catalyzed decomposition of ozone, the steady state concentration of NO3 can be high enough to allow its absorption spectrum to be recorded.

Six-valence nitrogen... insanity... :D

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
IodineForLunch
Harmless

Mood: bored

[*] posted on 15-11-2002 at 19:11

Now someone come up with a simple laboratory synthesis!

David Hansen
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-11-2002 at 09:03

Silent electric discharge in a mixture of NO2 and O2 (excess) under low pressure.
It's only stable below -142°C, so good luck isolating it.

NO3 is an intermediate during the oxidation of NO to NO2.
A dimer form, N2O6, is also known to exist, but I have no information regarding this compound.

Yet another freaky nitrogenoxide is Dinitrosylperoxide, ONO - ONO, which can be synthesized by leading NO into liquid oxygen...

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
halogen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-12-2005 at 08:28

Sorry to reserect this, but... What are the properties of ONO - ONO, I would assume it transforms into 2NO2 before long

F. de Lalande and M. Prud'homme showed that a mixture of boric oxide and sodium chloride is decomposed in a stream of dry air or oxygen at a red heat with the evolution of chlorine.
FPMAGEL
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-1-2006 at 03:55

This stuff is nice for liquard rocket(proalbe the reason why ICBM missiles use it). Its corrisive has hell, it explodes when mixed with salt water(sub sank thanks to it), They mix it with hydazine, as soon as these two chems mix the ingnite, saveing alot of space, and they don't need cold storage like LH2.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 14-1-2006 at 09:19

No, the chemical you're thinking of is O<sub>2</sub>N-NO<sub>2</sub>. I've never heard of the salt thing.

Go To Top