Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reaction of The Day/Week
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 16-4-2014 at 16:42
Reaction of The Day/Week

Would a "Reaction of the Day/Week" or both be of any interest? I'd love to put one on my website every week if it would be received well, be of interest, and hasn't already been done.

Since some interest was shown, if this works out, by friday, April 18th, 2014, the link below will lead to the weekly reactions:

http://ptp.x10.mx/weeklyr.htm

And eventually there might be a daily (Or two, a weekly, and a smaller reaction bi- or tri- weekly).

[Edited on 4-17-2014 by The Volatile Chemist]

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
16-4-2014 at 16:55
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 16-4-2014 at 17:01

'Hasn't already been done'
You mean the idea, or the reaction?
Personally, I would be interested in such a series.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
BobD1001
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-4-2014 at 17:07

That is a very neat idea! I would certainly follow such a series, and hopefully find the time to replicate quite a few!
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 16-4-2014 at 17:34

I would love something of this sort. Would people be allowed to submit ideas?

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2014 at 18:15

Glad you liked the idea!
Yes submissions would be accepted, preferably by a stickied form, but I could only hope they'd do that for me once the site was established. I was thinking of putting them on my website as to keep it organized and not bog this site down with multiple posts. For the time being, we could submit through email. I'll work on the page for my site in my free time, possibly start up the weekly reactions this Friday. If anyone has better ideas for how to do it, or a really good reaction we could do for the first one, that'd be great!
I'm going to edit in my original post links to where the pages will be once I start them so people can just look at the top of this post for links.
Thanks!
Nathan

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
16-4-2014 at 18:55
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 00:20

I like the idea as well. seems like it could be a little nudge of encouragement to get going, for those that tend to watch and read, but not practice. my self included, as of late. just peeking the curiosity with something you haven't stumbled across in reading yet, could prove productive.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 03:03

If anyone as easy access to toluene, toluene disproportion to benzene and xylenes using anhydrrous aluminium trichloride could be a great start.

I never asked for this.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 07:09

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
If anyone as easy access to toluene, toluene disproportion to benzene and xylenes using anhydrrous aluminium trichloride could be a great start.

No, I hardly do. :) But I'll make the website today, more sugestions would be great!

bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 12:30

Look at woelen's site: it has so many amazing reactions that are pretty easy to do if you want some cool reactions.
http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/index.html

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 14:34

It would be nice if there was a youtube equivalent for just chemistry and science in general.
The problem with youtube is that if someone complains about your video, youtube deletes it and you get a warning.
Sometimes, they just mark it as inappropriate for children and you get a warning.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 17:32

I'll just be sticking to the website, but thanks for the idea!
The first experiment of the week will be up tomorrow (Ohio time :) )
Edit: IT'S FINISHED! Check out the link above :) Tell me what you think.

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by The Volatile Chemist]

kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 04:15

Kinda neat, but you have no discussion about the actual chemistry. Even to the point that some of the chemistry discussed is off. Woelen's site is a very good resource for this kind of stuff. I'm not sure if I like the idea of weekly/daily reactions. Creativity can't be forced to work in a schedule. A minor point is also the website itself, it looks and feels like mid 90's and could use some css magic.

[Edited on 18-4-2014 by kavu]
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 06:48

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  
It would be nice if there was a youtube equivalent for just chemistry and science in general.
The problem with youtube is that if someone complains about your video, youtube deletes it and you get a warning.
Sometimes, they just mark it as inappropriate for children and you get a warning.

While it's nowhere near an experiment a week, I do have a chemistry YouTube channel :) (as do many others here). Coincidentally I just made a commitment to myself that I would at least try to work on a new video every weekend. Periodic Videos is a great channel that (..periodically..) posts great videos about the elements.

I've had my page up for a couple years now and have never had any videos taken down or complaints lodged (well, no complaints that I was made aware of). I have had a couple weird copyright infringement claims, but I contested these and they were swiftly retracted.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 08:39

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  

While it's nowhere near an experiment a week, I do have a chemistry YouTube channel :) (as do many others here). Coincidentally I just made a commitment to myself that I would at least try to work on a new video every weekend. Periodic Videos is a great channel that (..periodically..) posts great videos about the elements.

I've had my page up for a couple years now and have never had any videos taken down or complaints lodged (well, no complaints that I was made aware of). I have had a couple weird copyright infringement claims, but I contested these and they were swiftly retracted.

I love both you're channel and Periodic Videos! I just wanted to have some simple, yet interesting open-ended reactions online that people could enjoy, and have a predictable resource to get at least one reaction from a week. I post videos on my YouTube page (I've talked to you before on there, Nathansaint1, Nathan Pimental), but I'd rather not make one a week.

Quote: Originally posted by kavu  
Kinda neat, but you have no discussion about the actual chemistry. Even to the point that some of the chemistry discussed is off. Woelen's site is a very good resource for this kind of stuff. I'm not sure if I like the idea of weekly/daily reactions. Creativity can't be forced to work in a schedule. A minor point is also the website itself, it looks and feels like mid 90's and could use some css magic.

[Edited on 18-4-2014 by kavu]

I know, no discussion. I really don't know too much about complexes to write about their complexities (Heh heh?), but if people submit reactions, I assume they will be able to explain them well. I just had to get the website started.
Hey! (In regards to it's looks) I don't have time to make it fancy, and I prefer to do the coding myself. I like programming and chemistry, but not web design. BTW, there'd be no forced schedule.

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by The Volatile Chemist]

Go To Top