Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Literature request
Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-4-2014 at 00:55
Literature request

Dear All,

I've been lurking for a while on the forum and read the "Organic chemistry" subforum from start to end (took me for a few weeks).

This is my first post so please bear with me.

The why: there is a topic "Spices extraction" in which someone mentioned linalool and that it can be extracted from e.g. coriander seeds. I love coriander (carrot coriander soup), grew coriander in the garden, have coriander seeds so I dug deeper. Yesterday evening I was searching linalool related things on the net and came across an interesting article:
http://www.google.hu/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&am...

The pheromone in that article is very similar to linalool and thought it might be synthesized from that.
Apparently it can, there is an article in Tetrahedron Letters where the synthesis should be described:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040403902...

Of course, I have only a Guest account and can't read the full article. If someone here on the forum could access it in its full glory and upload somewhere that would be nice.

/There are different synthesis routes but the best small-scale synth should start from coriander-linalool because linalool is optically active and the beetles are very sensitive to the enantiomeric purity. More than 13% of the wrong isomer in one field trial and the pheromone was not working or worse: it had repulsive effect. Coriander has the right form, synthetic linalool or the one from lavander is bad to start with!/

And a general question in the end: what should I do if I wanted another article to be retrieved by someone with access to the appropriate online source? Should I open another thread in the Beginnings section or is there a dedicated sub-forum or thread somewhere for such requests?

Thanks,

Pumukli
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2014 at 01:14

The references forum. It does say "Articles or books may be requested or shared in this forum" you know. If you contribute positively towards the forum for a while you will be allowed access to the forum, it isn't really a big deal. Nevertheless you probs want to have more than one post under your belt before you ask ;)

Until then? I dunno

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2014 at 01:38

I'll PM you a link, but was going to post something akin to the above.
ElizabethGreene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2014 at 18:23

Quote: Originally posted by Pumukli  
Dear All,
...Apparently it can, there is an article in Tetrahedron Letters where the synthesis should be described:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040403902...

Of course, I have only a Guest account and can't read the full article. ...

Hello.

I've had a 100% success rate with emailing paper authors and asking for a copy of their papers. As an example, here is the last email I sent.

Quote:

Subject: Amateur chemist requesting copy of paper
Hello.

May I have a copy of your paper "Lithium Polysulfidophosphates: A
Family of Lithium-Conducting Sulfur-Rich Compounds for Lithium-Sulfur Batteries"?

I'm an amateur chemist and don't have access to that journal.

Thanks!

My Journal has moved to http://clutteredlab.com
Pumukli
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2014 at 13:15

Oh, yeah!
Asking the original source is the most obvious. How could I forgot that? :-)

Thanks!

Go To Top