Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trouble with a Dilution Plan for Gold(III) Chloride
pichoro
Harmless

Mood: Inert

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 09:42
Trouble with a Dilution Plan for Gold(III) Chloride

Hi, curious if anybody could give me a hand with this?

I'm trying to come up with a plan for diluting 0.25 g of Gold(III) Chloride to approximately 0.001 M (preferably a little over rather than a little under) using volumetric glassware.

I'm trying to recreate this, but using 0.25 g instead of 1 g as it is considerably cheaper, yet will still last me a ridiculously long time at the slow rate I'll use it: http://education.mrsec.wisc.edu/nanolab/gold/index.html

I plan on buying 0.25 g from Alfa Aesar. They do not mention any waters of hydration in their formula, and report a formula weight of 303.33 g/mol, leading me to believe it is anhydrous, or they're full of crud. https://www.alfa.com/en/catalog/12163

I can access most any size volumetric pipet or flask, up to like 50 mL pipets and 2000 mL flasks.

The original instructions call for diluting the full 1 g of gold(III) chloride trihydrate in 250 mL of solution for a molarity of 0.01 M, then diluting 25 mL at a time out to 250 mL for make the 0.001 M.

I'd like to offer some starting point I'm at, but I've honestly had no real success figuring something out for this. I may yet end up using an analytical balance to divide it up between a 500 mL volumetric and a 250 mL volumetric, if nobody has any advice. :(
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 09:56

The original instructions will give you a concentration of 0.0013 M.

If you dissolved 0.2 g of the gold chloride in 50 mL solution, and then did the same 25 mL -> 250 mL dilution, (or just dissolved it straight into a 500 mL volumetric flask) then you would get the same concentration, and have 0.05 g gold(III) chloride left.

[Edited on 12-5-2014 by DraconicAcid]

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 11:01
Question about gold (III) chloride

Quote:
Originally posted on Wiki
Preparation:
Gold(III) chloride is most often prepared by passing chlorine gas over gold powder at 180 °C:[1]
2 Au + 3 Cl2 → Au2Cl6

Then:
Quote:
Anhydrous AuCl3 begins to decompose to AuCl at around 160 °C; however, this in turn undergoes disproportionation at higher temperatures to give gold metal and AuCl3.

AuCl3 → AuCl + Cl2 (>160 °C)
3 AuCl → AuCl3 + 2 Au (>420 °C)

Anyone see the problem? My guess is, in an atmosphere of chlorine, the reaction equilibrium stays on the left even past the temperature where it normally decomposes ?: AuCl3 → AuCl + Cl2

[Edited on 12-5-2014 by Zyklonb]

pichoro
Harmless

Mood: Inert

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 11:18

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
The original instructions will give you a concentration of 0.0013 M.

If you dissolved 0.2 g of the gold chloride in 50 mL solution, and then did the same 25 mL -> 250 mL dilution, (or just dissolved it straight into a 500 mL volumetric flask) then you would get the same concentration, and have 0.05 g gold(III) chloride left.

My problem being that the 0.05 g won't remain in a quantitatively useful form for long as it is hygroscopic. It is recommended by the procedure for this demo to dissolve all of the gold(III) chloride, even the trihydrate form, to prevent this from being an issue. If they're actually selling anhydrous gold(III) chloride, it will quickly be not so anhydrous. I guess I just remember that there should be 0.05 g left? Make a note, and hope the package was right?

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
Quote:
Preparation:
Gold(III) chloride is most often prepared by passing chlorine gas over gold powder at 180 °C:[1]
2 Au + 3 Cl2 → Au2Cl6

Then:
Quote:
Anhydrous AuCl3 begins to decompose to AuCl at around 160 °C; however, this in turn undergoes disproportionation at higher temperatures to give gold metal and AuCl3.

AuCl3 → AuCl + Cl2 (>160 °C)
3 AuCl → AuCl3 + 2 Au (>420 °C)

Anyone see the problem? My guess is, in an atmosphere of chlorine, the reaction equilibrium stays on the left even past the temperature where it normally decomposes ?: AuCl3 → AuCl + Cl2

Oh, I see it. But I'm just sorta hoping for the best. All this gold(III) chloride stuff seems a little dicey. Like, it really irks me that gold(III) chloride, tetrachloroauric acid, and chloroauric acid all seem to be used interchangably for both AuCl3 and HAuCl4, which in some cases are claimed to be the same thing. I'd like to know where the other Cl comes from, myself.

Go To Top