Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anybody with experience getting TTB license for ethanol
jsc
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 12:04
Anybody with experience getting TTB license for ethanol

I am considering applying for a TTB (federal) license for extracting and using alcohol so I can make and legally use non-taxed ethanol for laboratory purposes, like preserving specimens, and things like that.

Does anyone have any experience with getting this license? The application is a one-pager and does not seem too onerous, but I want to find out if there any gotchas.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 13:25

why license? i have been running a still for exactly this purpose (and the occasional nip) for quite some time. i'll upload some pics of my setup after work tonight. as long as you don't advertize and keep your production low (and don't sell the stuff...stay below radar and you have little to worry about. if your wanting to practice chemistry at home you likely understand "staying below radar" quite well already. not legal advice. just don't see a need to allow the fed to rape me any deeper than they do already.

that said, i'm certain you already know the particulars of alcohol distillation. if you choose a traditional setup, blast your coil with acetic steam and then water vapor before distilling your mash. coils that sit for any amount of time will build up a layer of copper oxides that will taint your distillate.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 19:18

Quote: Originally posted by Rogeryermaw  
why license?

Some people like to stay legal.

Having said that, you can't have a still in an inhabited dwelling.
It has to be in a 'separate' property 'exclusively' for that purpose.
Varmint
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2014 at 03:23

Nothing wrong with trying to stay legal.

Regarding relationships with individuals, it might be OK to forge ahead and do something under the premise "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission", but in the case of the government, they seem to relish their subjects becoming criminals. Ergo, foregiveness is likely a pipe dream.

There was a point in the not too distant past where a policeman was recognized as an area homeowner who chose to "serve and protect" as his course in life. More recently they have transformed into quasi-military "storm troopers" who seemingly have rights well beyond those they originally sought to "serve and protect".

The thin blue line has become a vast canyon. Tread carefully, they are no longer contributing members of the community, in large part (and more each day) they are jack-booted thugs with an almost unlimited contempt for Mr. and Mrs. Joe Average.

DAS

[Edited on 13-5-2014 by Varmint]
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2014 at 06:40

All true and good points. At times I forget not all people enjoy the separation from direct scrutiny I do. Out in my literal neck of the woods, we enjoy nice quiet semi-privacy.

These are too big for the forum so here are links to the still. The tall cylinder is used for proofing.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q790/rogeryermaw/2013103...

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q790/rogeryermaw/2013103...

And if you don't like my dirty ass kitchen, feel free to come clean for me.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 13-5-2014 at 08:28

Nice classical pot still.
How do you seal the lid?
Is it luted or soldered?
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2014 at 09:52

4 gallon stock pot from wal-mart $12
sealed with aquarium sealant $3
rubber stopper i had
copper coil 25' (can't remember 1/4" or 5/16") about $30
the coil is mated to the 90 with a compression fitting. hardware about $6-7
5 gallon bucket $3
i used large washers and rubber gaskets to seal it all to the bucket. no soldering was done on this setup.

Go To Top