Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Determining the nature of an unknown metal ion
shc25
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2014 at 03:47
Determining the nature of an unknown metal ion

We have received a notice that states we will have to undertake a practical task using gravimetric analysis and mole relationships to determine the composition of substances. It also states that we'll have to determine the nature of an unknown metal ion in a compound.

Does anyone have any idea on the techniques/methods that could be involved to determine the unknown metal ion and any way in which I can prepare?

Please reply ASAP - thanks for your help!

[Edited on 31-5-2014 by shc25]
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 31-5-2014 at 07:45

Is this a school assignment? This doesn't sound like a real world problem.

The quantitative techniques include the most basic of the basic, dissolution, titration, precipitation, filtration, washing, drying, ashing, weighing, etc.

The qualitative techniques can include chromatography, the flame test (for certain things, very good), production or the lack thereof of a precipitate when treated with certain reagents, and numerous others.

A lot depends on the amount your instructor gives you. I'd try the library if I were you, this is an age-old analytical problem and scores of books exist on the topic. Go do some reading.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 31-5-2014 at 07:54

How about a flame test

(edit) OOPS, redundant to Dan's excellent answer

[Edited on 5-31-2014 by arkoma]

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 31-5-2014 at 12:24

There exists decision trees for qualitative analytical chemistry of cations.
It is part of basic lab chemistry matter in first year university.

Once you know what cations are present in your sample/solution then you can go quantitative with specific tests.

Absorbance can be used at lambda max for colored cations... We used that to define quantities of a solution of mixed Co(2+) and Ni(2+).

[Edited on 31-5-2014 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 31-5-2014 at 21:51

This of course, could drive you crazy. Keep in mind, allowing some of the solution to dry-out, will most likely cause crystals to form. Comparing these crystals to known materials, can take you a long ways toward identifying your unknown. In fact, there used to be an instructor at one of my Alma Maters, that highly recommended the use of a magnifying glass and tweezers as an aide to passing his class. And, trust me, that class was damned hard to pass if you didn't utilize every possible resource.
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 13:16

Use qualitative chemistry techniques. Check out flame tests, as Dan pointed out, with a list of the colours each cation produces. Then you could continue with wet chemistry trying to obtain certain precipitates or changes in coloration. Bear in mind that if the salt is a colour other than white it will possibly be a transition metal.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username

Go To Top