Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Issues in Relation to Ferrofluid - Decay of FeCl3 and Tetramethylammonium Hydroxide
pichoro
Harmless

Mood: Inert

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 20:07
Issues in Relation to Ferrofluid - Decay of FeCl3 and Tetramethylammonium Hydroxide

So I'm currently attempting to prepare some ferrofluid with an advanced high school chemistry class meeting for a few weeks over the summer, and have run into a couple of issues.

First, the procedure in brief:

1. Prepare and combine 4 mL of 1M Iron(III) Chloride solution and 1 mL of 2M Iron(II) Chloride solution.
  2. Add 50 mL of 0.5M Ammonium Hydroxide dropwise while stirring to form Magnetite nanoparticles.
  3. Concentrate Magnetite in bottom of flask with a strong magnet, decant, and rinse multiple times with distilled water.
  4. Add 1 mL of 25% Tetramethylammonium Hydroxide solution to stabilize.

I've run into two matters I wish to seek comment on.

First off, I've tried this several times with mixed results. After a failed first attempt, I had success and got a spiking ferrofluid. I had success a couple of more times, and then I've not been successful since. My first attempt was two years ago, and I'm using the same bottle of tetramethylammonium hydroxide. I'm concerned about the shelf-life, and if it can go bad. There is definitely some sediment in it now, but I didn't pay enough attention when I got it to see if there was sediment then. So, does anyone know if this stuff has a short shelf-life? Google has not been helpful with this question.

Second, ferric chloride. I thought I was going to leave the Iron(III) chloride solution sit over night yesterday and come back to it today and continue the process, only to learn that iron(III) ions undergo a reaction that causes the solution to become acidic, and they form a polymer of sorts. This was explained very hastily to me by an instructor-turned-colleague who is far more knowledgable than myself. However, I've gotten home, and have found I have more questions and holes in my understanding of this than I realized at the time. I won't be back there for a couple days, and in the meantime, have failed to find anything helpful using google. Does anyone know of any good resources or have some insight into this process? I'm really kind of curious about the polymer, as I intend to talk to this group of students about polymers later on in the summer.

Thanks in advance!
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 22:37

I don't remember the site as it was a long time ago but I remember reading a very good writeup on the subject of ferric chloride chemistry. It was about etching circuit boards so even though I cannot give a link at least I can suggest you search the subject of etchant chemistry. It was very thorough and covered the HCl formation. Hopefully using this search term will help. If I have time this week I'll try to retrace my steps even if it only exists on wayback and post a link.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 23:33

Decomposition:
Paragraph 12 ....exposed to air....https://snf.stanford.edu/SNF/materials-and-chemicals/msds-std-chemicals/images-msds/tetramethylammonium-hydroxide-tmah

Product shelf life: http://www.hunan-chem.com/organic_chemicals/TDS_Tetramethyla...

FerroFluid:
The best ferrofluid video that I have ever found, (except for its lack of meticulous information on molarities and concentrations, very very good)
http://technyou.education.csiro.au/module/properties/page/11...

Extra Info basic quick and easy:
http://education.mrsec.wisc.edu/background/ferrofluid/index....

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)

Go To Top