Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum pump specs for general lab use
The Ideal Gas Lawyer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 06:04
Vacuum pump specs for general lab use

Forgive me if this topic has been done to death but my boss has tasked me with ordering a vacuum pump for our new lab and I'm kinda lost in specs. I've been looking at this diaphragm pump since we can get it (and a couple other small things) for under $1K which dramatically simplifies the acquisition process but I'm wondering if its good enough that we won't need to buy another, better one in a few months. It has a ultimate vacuum of 75torr and a free air cap of 17 liters/min. I always used house vacuum back in college so I never knew what kind of pull i was getting through the wall. Is that enough of a flow rate for reasonably fast filtration? Is that a low enough pressure to appreciably help distillations?

Thanks!
-TIGL
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 07:06

Why not say, "my boss has asked me to find him a pump?" There is no English verb "to task." It sounds like something a Fox news reporter might say. Anyway, my rants aside, we don't know what you want it for and whether you have a lab with running water. Give us some parameters and we'll be glad to help you.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
The Ideal Gas Lawyer
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 10:03

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
Why not say, "my boss has asked me to find him a pump?" There is no English verb "to task." It sounds like something a Fox news reporter might say. Anyway, my rants aside, we don't know what you want it for and whether you have a lab with running water. Give us some parameters and we'll be glad to help you.

Because the pump isn't for him, its for the lab and it seemed like the best way to express that :P Anyway, I meant to link to this pump in the OP: http://www.vacuubrand.com/us/page994.html

That's the pump I'm looking at now. I had previously ordered this aspirator http://www.thermoscientific.com/en/product/nalgene-aspirator... but found the performance hugely unsatisfactory with the fairly crappy water pressure available in the lab. Its only been able to pull a vacuum of about 12-18 inches of water. As I said, my needs are faster filtration through a Büchner funnel and possibly vacuum distillation. I don't have specific solvents in mind that I want be able to pull off so I can't work backwards from that vapor pressure. Really I just want to know if it's a reasonable pump for a small research lab.

[Edited on 12-6-2014 by The Ideal Gas Lawyer]
The Ideal Gas Lawyer
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 09:49

BTT

Go To Top