Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  14
Author: Subject: Chemistry Wiki Attempt
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 17-9-2014 at 05:47

No I haven't, I'll try that. In the meantime I just noticed something, the wiki doesn't have a page for water:D

EDIT I just made one.

[Edited on 17-9-2014 by gdflp]
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 17-9-2014 at 14:22

Quote:
And which AP test would that be? And somehow you high schoolers make me feel old...

AP US History...
Wow... Not fun, it was.
Just made an article on 1,2-Dichloroethane.

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 17-9-2014 at 16:02

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Quote:
And which AP test would that be? And somehow you high schoolers make me feel old...

AP US History...
Wow... Not fun, it was.
Just made an article on 1,2-Dichloroethane.

My career in high school included 11 of those tests and that was my least favorite outside of the two English ones(and maybe Calc). I hope you did well, though.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 13:34

Got a solid 11/22. Not used to that. And the class average was 12/22. Won't be much editing tonight...

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 14:05

And I discovered today that I got a 79 on my first AP Physics test. That was a huge surprise and disappointment, especially considering that more people got A's than C's and I never get C's on tests...

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 14:20

Ouch.

What went wrong?

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 14:58

That's sad zts16 :/ I'm looking forward to my next science classes (AP Chem and Honors Phys next)

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 15:06

The first few tests are the hardest, as you may have no idea what you're doing. However, it's quite unusual that you received said score on the test. I have noticed that practical amateur chemistry does not really require the precision of what is expected in chemistry classes; the goals of amateur chemistry generally involve getting from product A to product B through some new route - in other words, synthesis. What questions did you struggle with?

I've started a new thread where we can discuss this further.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 15:22

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
No I haven't, I'll try that. In the meantime I just noticed something, the wiki doesn't have a page for water:D

EDIT I just made one.

Someone should also make a page for "hydric acid". This is too funny.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 19-9-2014 at 11:57

We've got way too many categories on the wiki. We have 216 categories, to be exact, for 212 pages. If you can find any duplicate, misspelled, or useless categories, please correct or delete them. Begin to fill up relatively empty categories by adding in relevant articles.

Also, I've noticed many categories have every word capitalized - unless the category includes proper nouns, don't capitalize any word but the first.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2014 at 12:30

OK. It's my thought that ranking should not be used. It seems to distract people into getting a high rank without actually working (eg. the spike of categories). I wouldn't have spoken if I were a lower rank, but I'll admit that (prior to having obtained #2 rank) they were a big distraction. I really don't think they promote the right kind of editing. They should probably be turned off, in my opinion.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 19-9-2014 at 12:36

Next time I get a chance, I'll go through the categories and delete the useless ones. Also, I'll add a section to the editing guideline page describing the proper use of categories.
As for getting rid of rankings... I think that they should stay. Ever since we implemented those, many more edits have been made regularly than there were before. I don't know if it's a direct correlation, but they certainly don't hurt. We had just as many useless categories before. (I've done a couple of category deletion rampages already...)

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 19-9-2014 at 13:28

I second zts16, as there has been a huge spike in editing. We'll always have plenty of useless edits no matter what. However, what I think we need to do is put the list of pages and categories on the front page, that way people can see them immediately rather than just guess at what's there and what's not and avoid page merging, if possible.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 19-9-2014 at 14:08

Links to the lists you mean? Embedding the lists themselves would take up quite a bit of room.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 19-9-2014 at 15:28

Yes, that's what I meant.

Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2014 at 17:22

I definitely can confirm that I edit the wiki more because of the point system. I keep coming back everyday so that I can keep my number of days in a row up, and then when I get there, I find tons of stuff that I can add info too, and then I get ideas for new articles while doing it, etc. I wouldn't say that the whole wiki is going down in quality; just the whole category ordeal. I haven't noticed many poorly done edits, just frivolous category-adding. I think if we see somebody add a very questionable category for points' sake, the appropriate thing to do would be do call them out for it and then delete it. Nobody wants that kind of negative attention, so they'll probably stop. But guys, as far as the number of categories goes, I don't think that the numerical value is all that big of an issue. We have so many categories because even though we have few articles, we have covered a very diverse array of topics, and that should be indicated by the number of categories we have. As long as a category enhances the ability of someone to locate potential reagents/processes or to lead someone from one article to another in a way that encourages learning, it should stay. What we probably don't need is just grouping every single compound together because they share a single property(for example: red compounds, insoluble compounds) where that compound discusses none of the actual uses/chemistry of it.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 21-9-2014 at 20:11

I've included an intentionally obfuscated synthesis of TATP on the Acetone peroxide page. Should we keep it?

Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-9-2014 at 03:22

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
I've included an intentionally obfuscated synthesis of TATP on the Acetone peroxide page. Should we keep it?

See, I'm kind of in favor of a detailed step-by-step process with all considerations included. If someone wants to make things that blow up, they're not going to say "oh well! I guess I can't make that if it's not on the wiki!"; they're going to browse the internet for second-rate sources(and there are lots of VERY shitty ones) and lose a limb trying to carry them out. Kewls will be kewls, so the least we can do is try to make sure they get the right information until they've wisened up.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 09:20

Hmm, you're right about that. Speaking of which, I think we should include more how-to articles on the wiki, and expand on the only one we have.

Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 09:27

I agree wholeheartedly, I really enjoy articles that are a combination of useful information on the topic but also include more explicitly stated procedures for how to go about accomplishing things. That's what I was trying to do when I made my Chloroform article, one of my very first.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 11:43

I just created an edit track - you get badges for editing How-to articles. (Use the category "How-to")

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 07:35

Just a suggestion for category deletion, we have two categories, one for bases which is supposed to be only for bronsted-lowry bases, and another which is "bronsted-lowry bases". "Bronsted-lowry bases" is the smaller category. If you need more admins on the wiki, I'd be happy to help.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 08:07

zts16 is a bureaucrat on the wiki and is the only person who has the power to elevate users. Ask him, I'm sure he'd appreciate the help.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 13:39

I asked zts16 once, I think he wants a good bit more users before he promotes anyone.
But it was a while ago.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 27-9-2014 at 18:07

I've included a "main article" template for synthesis pages and such. I've also included navboxes, but I don't know how to make them work like Wikipedia's, let alone make a periodic table template. They've been copied from http://templates.wikia.com/

[Edited on 28.9.2014 by Brain&Force]

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  14

Go To Top