Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Breaking Bad "magic" Chemistry - Liquid + CO2 = Sheet of Salt?
JRoswell
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 21:00
Breaking Bad "magic" Chemistry - Liquid + CO2 = Sheet of Salt?

As many of us in the chemical industry know, this show is not known for its tedious accuracy. While their are ways to yield that kind of high purity chiral product, the way the shows discuss chemistry doesn't seem like they put much thought into it. The mixing of different incompatible synthesis, etc. Though, I recall one of the cast interviews claiming they had a professional Organic Chemist on set all the time helping making the show seem realistic in the chemistry aspects. Most of its fairly reasonable in the right context, chiral catalyst.... colored impurity from such (no idea why it cant be washed out), etc.

As a big fan of the show, there is one thing I cannot wrap my mind around. In one of the episodes in Season 5 Walter mentions they 'Freeze the Final Product with CO2", and this somehow forms of perfect tray of the crystallized product.

How is that possible? It is even plausable to melt something like that in its hydrochloride salt form and pour it into a tray? Being in Industry that is certainly never a technique I have read about or encountered, and I have read several texts on crystallography, which, supposedly Walt is an "expert" at. The only problem with this idea, even if the salt will melt without decomposing, in one of the earlier seasons he produces a perfect meth-sheet in his RV lab, without any equipment fancy enough to melt the salt with such accuracy.

So is idea just a fanciful idea to fuel the show? Or is it based on some sort of advanced crystallization technique?
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 02:39

I've watched many a crystallization "front" move across and evaporating dish. I would assume a melt would be even more dramatic with it's crystallization.

Of course this was with sodium acetate not meth. Thought I should clarify there.

[Edited on 4-7-2014 by hyfalcon]

Go To Top