Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: destroying chlorates and leaving the prechlorates
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 17-5-2007 at 19:58
Indigo Carmine Test

Indigo Carmine Test For Clhorates

Go to that link, 3rd post down for a demonstration of chlorate detection. This is what
happens when 5 ppm threshold is reached and why I only used 3 drops instead of a
full 5 ml. Even at 1 ppm a decoloration of the mix shows. Granted, the MnSO4 test is
more sensitive but 1 gram of IC can provide 1000 tests. Just keep it out of sunlight
because I found out it does react to UV. As for chlorate destruction, use ferrous sulphate
as mentioned earlier. It's cheap and available at most garden shops.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 18-5-2007 at 11:35

MnSO4 exists in two forms. The monohydrate is very pale pink. The tetrahydrate also is pale pink, but the color is a little bit stronger.

Manganese (II) ions have a very pale pink color. In solution it looks colorless, only the most concentrated solutions have a faint pink color. Manganese (III) is red/brown in the form of the aqua ion. The phosphato-complex, however, is intensely purple. This purple color differs quite a lot from the pink color of manganese (II).

@G.i.B.: Leuk dat je hier ook bent! Ik hoop je hier nog veel vaker te zien. Weer eens wat anders dan chemieforum ;) !

[Edited on 18-5-07 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
hashashan
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-5-2007 at 04:00

Fianlly managed to preform the test. After reducing all Chlorate I got some nice perchlorate.
Now I am seriously curious how accurate that test? I want to make Ammonium perchlorate but i dont want to risk my fingers/hands/legs and any other body part, the chlorate makes me really worry.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 20-5-2007 at 06:26

Which test are you talking about? The sniff SO2 test or the test with the pyrophosphate of manganese (III)? The latter test is more accurate. If you first had a nice purple color and after reduction it remains colorless, then you are sure that hardly any chlorate is left. If the test indicates no color, then just add a small additional pinch of bisulfite, and then you 100% sure have no chlorate left.

But the SO2 test also is quite sure. If the stench of SO2 is strong, then no chlorate is left.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
hashashan
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-5-2007 at 06:39

The SO2 is problematic .. i just can hardly feel that smell. I feel some faint smell only after i gass myself with it ... and the seizure in the lungs after it isnt the most pleasent(probably not very healthy also) thing.
I was talking about the manganese sulfate method.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 12:36
Destroying Chlorate with Iron Sulphate

Hello,
I had always presumed that you can destroy Chlorate with Iron Sulphate (on its own). This is not the case.......I think. You need acid (Sulphuric). Is this true.
Since you must have acid when doing a titration for Chlorate with FeSO4 then it must be true that you need acid if destroying it.
6FeSO4 + NaClO3 + 3H2SO4 ------> 3Fe2(SO4)3 + NaCl + 3H2O

Titration here:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/5361/chlorate/...

Any and all comments welcome

Dann2
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 12:41

Yes, you will likely need acid to reduce it via ferrous sulfate. I've always thought of it something like dichromate and permanganate, where the real oxidising species is more prevalent in acidic solution. The same would be true here I would imagine. Many oxidisers are more potent in acidic conditions.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 13:29

The redox reaction requires H+ to proceed, or Fe(OH)3 drops out of solution and, with a lesser concentration of H+, the reaction proceeds very slowly.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
hashashan
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 22:03

The sulfate, sulfite and all the methods leading to SO4 are problematic.
If you had about 20% chlorate in your solution .. you will get loads of sulfate while crystallizing out any perchlorate, there must be a method to reduce the chlorate and not to get any sulfates or risk gassing your neighborhood with the HCl method
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 16:28

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
The redox reaction requires H+ to proceed, or Fe(OH)3 drops out of solution and, with a lesser concentration of H+, the reaction proceeds very slowly.

Tim

Hello Tim,

When you say the reaction needs the H+ to proceed, does this mean the Stiochemetric amount is needed or just enough to keep the solution at a low pH.?
The reaction I am talking about is from a Titration (below):

6FeSO4 + NaClO3 + 3H2SO4 ------> 3Fe2(SO4)3 + NaCl + 3H2O
(You then titrate the excess Fe Sulphate with Potassium Permanganate.)

Perhaps with the Titration you must end up with Fe Sulphite otherwise the Fe(OH)3 would interfere and thats why you need a large amount (enough) of Acid in the Titration?

Dann2
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 18:10

H+ is the driving force for two reasons: one, oxidation of a metal requires H+ to keep it in solution. This is especially true of Fe(OH)3! (Note if you were oxidizing something like S, it would give H+ and be prone to runaway like many oxidations can be.) Two, ClO3- is resonance stabilized and rather stable; an excess of H+ is necessary to form HClO3, which is unstable and reacts. HClO3 has a pKa around 1, so pH less than say 3 is needed.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top