Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adding Polypyridyl complexes to Fe
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 17:56
Adding Polypyridyl complexes to Fe

Ok, So I am working on a dye sensitizers, and I want to attach polypyridyl groups to an Fe atom. All the literature I have seen uses the the Fe +2 ion, but could the Fe +3 ion have polypyridyl groups? Also, I was wondering how polypyridyl Iron would be made in the lab? like what procedures/chemicals would I use?

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
numos
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 18:18

Is this the one you want? [Fe(bipy)3]2+

I believe it could be made by adding 2,2 -bipyridine to a either +2 or +3 Iron, (I would just try and see which one works)

I've actually wanted to make the Ruthenium complex, but I don't have the bipyridine, I have pyridine, but this needs to be catalyzed using "Raney nickle" some kind of nickle-aluminum alloy.

Sorry,my knowledge isn't extensive about this.

(Off topic) Speaking of which if anyone knows a non-S.Aldrich company that sells Raney nickel... I'd love to hear!

mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 23:19

Usually when we make complexes in the lab, we dissolve the ligand and metal salt in a solvent like THF. Iron usually sticks pretty well to ligands, at the most gentle heating can encourage the metallation. If you want the iron (II) complex then use an iron (II) salt, otherwise you will have to deal with reducing the iron (III) complex.
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 06:38

Ok, So just add the salt to a solution of the ligand sounds easy enough. Does the anion of the salt matter? For instance when creating [Fe(bipy)3]2+ could a a halide salt be used? or possibly an organic salt?

Also, if I wanted to add carboxyl groups to some of the rings how would be the best way to do that? And would it have to happen before or after the ligand binds to the metal?

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 07:06

Raney nickel
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201123898961
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
10-7-2014 at 12:36

Go To Top