Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does toothpaste chemicals may be damage to our health?
yiberkit
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-7-2014 at 23:07
Does toothpaste chemicals may be damage to our health?

Note: My english isnt well.
Everyone knows toothpaste's has chemicals in variety. Floride is the main chemical. But how do you know if its not harm your health in the future?
May be it cause cancer in the future. So what precautions do you take when you brush your teeths?
How long have you brush your teeths?
Are you take mouthwash while you doing this?
Does toothpaste chemicals harm to human body?

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 20-7-2014 at 00:57

Currently, from the FDA, the studies indicate that the chemicals in toothpaste are safe if used as directed. What makes you think toothpaste could be a carcinogen? Do you have any studies or evidence to support your claim?
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 20-7-2014 at 00:57

personally, I have time to kill so I will give you some answers, in the order asked

I don't give much though to being harmed in the future, by having used tooth paste now or in the past.

I don't swallow the tooth paste, and obviously I rinse my mouth when done, that's all the precaution I need.

I have brushed my teeth since I was able to hold a toothbrush.

I do use mouthwash before, during or after. doesn't matter which one, just make sure to use it every(most) time I brush.

I have seen no harm of any kind.

on a side note, as a kid, we would come back from recess in elementary school, to a small cup on our desks. this had fluoride in it which we were supposed to swirl around in our mouth and then spit. the teachers always reminded us not to swallow any, and made sure we spit it back in the cup and threw it away in front of them. so my school seemed pretty darn good about making sure kids didn't ingest any, and only the teeth were protected. that was kindergarten, first and half of second grade. then I switched schools, and honestly I don't remember if that school still did the fluoride mouthwash.

I had to use extra strength fluoride toothpaste after I had braces. 2x strength as store bought. and after all that, I fail to have cancer years later :P

does the fluoride scare you, or are you just testing the water to see how others feel about it?
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-7-2014 at 02:26

I'm not concerned, and I brush my teeth regularly with toothpaste. While we do constantly find out that some substances previously considered safe may not be (some chemicals in sun block/sun screen), there are still many tests such as the Ames mutagenicity test we can apply to various chemicals. If a substance passes this test, it's presumed not to be mutagenic, and this mutagenicity is considered the causative mechanism of chemically-induced carcinogenesis. The FDA has various levels of stringency for testing cosmetics or drugs, and anything used orally has a higher standard than topically due to a variety of reasons (mucous membrane sensitivity, generally higher bioavailability, etc.). Also, most non-ionizing forms of radiation or mutagenic compounds tend to have threshold doses at which clinically deleterious effects may appear. Staying below these threshold doses is either A) harmless, or B) arguably beneficial due to hormesis, which can be thought of as the body's overcompensation for a stressor, having a net positive effect.

In the absence of some sort of mechanistic paradigm indicating a danger from a chemical, or even epidemiological evidence which may be confounded, there is really no scientific reasoning to avoid using a substance shown efficacious in something such as personal hygiene. That said, even if toothpaste use increased my risk for cancer one millionth of a percent, I am pretty sure it decreases my risk of being dentally inconvenienced much more than that, and I can make the decision to go with better breath, higher attractiveness, easier consumption of food, and reduced dental costs vs. infinitesimal risk of problem X.
The choice is yours.

Although I am curious with the other posters... why are you concerned at all? I am all for scientific scepticism and inquiry, but find a worrisome atmosphere of increased medical sham-ery and conspiratorial culture which is actually very detrimental to healthcare and science in general.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 20-7-2014 at 15:00

poor gum and tooth health has been show to increase the risk of cardiovascular problems and heart problems. pathogens can get dumped into your blood supply where you have eroded teeth, decaying food, and blood supply right into the tooth. at least thats what all my dentists, orthodontists have said. so being concerned about fluoride ion, seems silly by comparison to the cleanliness, first impressions, loss of teeth and possible blood borne infections or heart disease...

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/features/periodontal-dise...
"There are a lot of studies that suggest that oral health, and gum disease in particular, are related to serious conditions like heart disease," says periodontist Sally Cram, DDS, a spokeswoman for the American Dental Association."

Go To Top