Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sigma Aldrich
Nuke_Dukem
Harmless

Mood: Faggy

[*] posted on 14-1-2005 at 18:14

Quote:

It doesn't, really. These people aren't stupid, and have to answer to the DEA like anyone else.

Dude only american companies have to answer to the DEA. I dont see why anybody would bother fucking around with sigma when theres tons of places that are just as good that arent located in the US. IMO saying youre a student at such and such university is the best way to go. You can have it shipped to your own residence also without worrying that they might find that suspicios. The only reason I see to fabricate your own faux buisness is if your going to be ordering large quantities of watched chems. Other than that I would go with the University thing.

W00t!
Kman100
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-1-2005 at 13:42

Hey Nuke, I'm definitely going to go with Pfaltz and Bauer.

Any other questions besides the intended purpose and shipping address?

Also, once I have an account with them, will I be able to do repeat orders without the whole interrogation process? :)
Nuke_Dukem
Harmless

Mood: Faggy

[*] posted on 16-1-2005 at 16:25

there is no interrogation process. they ask for you name, shipping address, method of payment and compay name, thats all.

W00t!
riisa
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 23:40

Hello all!

1st I'd like to say what a fine place sciencemadness is! This is my first time posting, but I've been browsing for quite some time. I think it's great how willing everyone is to help everyone else, even the noobs :)

2nd I'd like to apologize for resurrecting a long-dead thread, please forgive me :(

Finally to the point.
What's the final word on Alfa Aesar? Will they ship to an individual in the USA if given a (possibly false ;) ) company or university name? I've seen people claim both ways...so what's the story?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 00:10

Welcome.
You might want to read this thread and discuss your topic there.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 01:02

The thread author lives in USA. Therefore ordering from European suppliers who have no distribution in USA will mean he will have to pay huge shipping and then deal with US Customs, no fun.

If his Euro vendor has distributor in USA, then they are just as much under the thumb of the DEA as any American company.

I agree, Aldrich are arrogant and overpriced.

But there is no simple solution for an individual residing in USA.

It is also ridiculous to postulate that DEA does not have counterparts in EU member nations, and that DEA does not have resident agents in every US Embassy who cooperate with their counterparts. Because of course - they do.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
riisa
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 14:32

Thanks guys :cool:
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 21:22

If you are in the US you need a REAL company and the all important EIN (Employer's Identification Number) which is your IRS tax number for the comp[any.

If you are in EU you need to be VAT registered and no you can't use a fake company name, or a fake VAT number.

The minute you start using bogus information you make yourself suspect to the seller and to the authorities.

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 21:26

Nobody is going to keep score on what you buy at the chemical company. They just want to do business with people that won't cause then to spend extra time justifying their sales. They used to be much easier to set up with. Now its almost like getting a DEA number. I don't know about chemicals but I do know you can buy equipment from them with a credit card while your account application is pending. As an individual you could establish yourself as a researcher or consultant. Otherwise better stick to the companies that cator to hobbyists. They can order stuff for you that isn't on their lists.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
riisa
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 00:38

Does anybody know if someone could get a business license for a "non-profit research company?" I'd be more than willing to pay for a license, but I don't know what all is involved with something like that. Anyone have experience in this field? It sounds like evil_lurker has done something like this...
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 01:02

Consult a lawyer.

Sole propietorship, partnership, or corporation?

The term is "not-for-profit" and you can expect to have to adhere to that. The local, state and federal tax people will want to make sure that you really are not for profit, in order to maintain tax exempt status with them. So you will have to have some accounting burden and maintain records of all expenditures.

I'd advise you to describe it as a research and educational organization.

Remember, we are not talking about a sham, but a real thing.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top