Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Testing Strength of Organic Reducers
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 19-8-2014 at 12:38
Testing Strength of Organic Reducers

As we all know, organic compounds are generally reducing agents. What I want to figure out is how to classify and quantify their strength as such. For example, it is easily understood that ascorbic acid is a stronger reducing agent than methyl alcohol... but is there an actual way to quantify that? Would ORP work, or could I titrate it somehow, or is it purely theoretical?

Thank you very much in advance!
Dean

EDIT: I could have sworn that I posted this in beginnings... Oh well :)

[Edited on 19-8-2014 by ScienceHideout]

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-8-2014 at 16:52

You can measure the strength of a reducing agent relative to another reducing agent fairly simply. If substance A reduces substance B but substance C does not, then substance A is a stronger reducing agent than substance B.

This is similar to the old-school way of finding the reactivity of metals. An example is that Zinc metal reduces Cu2+ but lead metal does not. Therefore Zinc is a more reactive metal than lead.
Templar
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-8-2014 at 02:58

This is difficult... its not just the reducing potention of the reducing agent (boro,LAH, Al/Hg, Na/Hg etc) its also the intermediates that are formed during the process.

For example, DNA polymerase is an enzyme that can do what it normally takes acyl chlorides or PCl3 to do, make peptide bonds. There are other biological reducers too, I think yeast will turn ketones and aldehydes into their alcohols, but is limited by reagent concentration.

I think the reaction mechanism is very important for testing the reducing potential, but there is also the very clear differences in reactivity, LAH vs boro.

Maybe on the susceptibility of attack from other groups (or to attack other groups) and reduce them. Nucleophiles attack LAH pretty readily? But not so much borohydride.

He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 20-8-2014 at 06:16

I guess the problem is that what I am trying to test are very weak in the first place... reducing saccharides. Comparing it to the reactivity series would theoretically work, but anything that theoretically works doesn't practically work. It is not very difficult to reduce silver complexes with any of them (Tollen's Test) or copper complexes (Benedict's, right?), but it is obvious that lead, tin, nickel, cobalt, iron, etc. will not. So they all are very close, the sugars, I just want to be able to put them into some order and assign quantitative data to them. Ribose, xylose, dextrose, galactose, fructose, lactose, maltose, sucrose. I know that sucrose is non reducing because there is no hemiacetal, it is just a matter of sorting them after that.

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
21-8-2014 at 06:41

Go To Top