Printable Version  
Author: Subject: synthesis of hexamethylethane
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2014 at 06:55
synthesis of hexamethylethane

hi all
i was wondering if you could help me come up with a decent synthetic route to get hexamethylethane(2,2,3,3 tetramethylbutane)

this is what i came up with
1.take para xylene(1,4 dimethylbenzene) and perform birch reduction to get 3,6 Dimethyl-1,4 cyclohexadiene

2.do free radicle bromination to get 3,6 dibromo-3,6 Dimethyl cyclohexadiene

3.perform intramolecular wurtz reaction to get the bicyclo compound 1,4-Dimethylbicyclo(2.2.0)hexa-2,5-diene

4.do ozonolysis to break the two double bonds to get 1,2 dimethyl-1,1,2,2-ethanetetracarbaldehyde

5.finally do wolff kishner reduction of the carbonyl groups to methyl groups to get hexamethylethane
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
15-9-2014 at 06:59
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2014 at 09:39

I would look at the feasibility of a symmetrical cross-coupling reaction of tert-butyl halides (something akin to a Wurtz coupling). For example, see http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S... From my brief skimming of this document their yield for cross-coupling of tert-butyl iodide was only 10%, but I'm guessing this would still be higher yielding and certainly easier than the somewhat extravagant route you propose. Anyway, a more thorough search on symmetrical cross-coupling reactions for alkyl halides might turn up some more promising i.e. higher-yielding way of performing the reaction.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.

Go To Top