Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bunsen fuel advice
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 18:41
Bunsen fuel advice

Up until now, I have been using a portable gas stove instead of a bunsen burner (the shame :( ). I have now acquired a bunsen burner, and have been trying to find out what to fuel it with.

I was thinking propane would be logical at first, but the people at the hardware store were saying it wouldn't work because the gas flow from a cyclinder would be to fast for the bunsen, and I would get an oversized flame, and it would be unsafe.

They suggested I use butane, so I converted a butane torch into a gas source, but the flame from butane was unsuitable. It burnt too tall, and it wouldn't burn completely to form a blue flame.

I was considering trying propane anyway (I don't trust the people at the HW store). Can anyone suggest a suitable fuel (and whats needed), or say what you use to fuel your bunsen?

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 18:48

I tried to use a propane cylinder and got a huge flame, for some reason I thought it was from the gas flow being too slow since it was always too big, even if I tried to adjust the gas flow... Anyway, never got it to work right with propane so I just gave up on it. I got one of those wand extentions for a propane cylinder and I just use a lab clamp to hold it in place. But I always wanted to get my bunsen working, just for old times sake.

[Edited on 2/8/2005 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 18:56

Yeah, bunsens rock :P.

I might ask my chem teacher, see if he knows what they use for gas.

I have to get the bunsen working. :(
Synopsis
Harmless

Mood: Freely Radical

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 19:09

I believe they use methane in the labs. Not because it's the best fuel or whatever, simply because it's the cheapest available (natural gas). I would think propane is perfectly suited for the application however, it might be hard to get a nice flow with a typical cylinder. You would probably need a pressure regulator (costly) to get it right.

Your theory is crazy, but it\'s not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 21:07

There are two types of burners. There is natural gas and LP. LP is liquid propane. This is the kind of burner you want. They have different flow rates and oxygen mixing ratios I believe. The LP has a slower flow rate and larger oxygen intake. My guess is that you got a natural gas burner. I have never tried a LP burner, but I assume they will work better. They can be had from most chemistry suppliers that I have seen. It should be able to ship it overseas if that is where you are from.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 21:43

I have a propane torch for copper pipe soldering that I have adapted for use with my bunsen burner. I have used propane and MAPP gas. MAPP gives a hotter flame which I think is needed for borosilicate glass.

I took the brass torch and removed the very end piece. This exposes the "orifice-filter block assembly." I soldered a brass hose barb (available at hardware stores) to the end of this assembly.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 21:48

Couldn't you use a big propane cylinder cylinder, as they have a knob on them to somewhat control the flow?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 21:51

I have used two different bunsen burners (one plain, one large with a mesh grid across the top for many little flame cones) with propane. It was achieved by using plastic and surgical tubing glued attached to the gas regulator coming from a 5 gallon barbecue propane tank, with the other end of the tubing slipping and gripping over the burner's gas input. The pressure from the large tank after the gas leaves the regulator seems to be considerably less than what you'd get coming out of a torch nozzle. I used this setup successfully for at least 5 years, and a normal bunsen burner will go for a very long time between refills of the tank.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 21:57

Polverone you are right about my torch valve being a little touchy. ;)

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 01:27

I have an LP burner which is supposed to run on propane. I have always used natural gas (a mixture of propane and butane etc...) for it and it works fine - blue flame, hot enough for any reaction involving a bunsen flame. If you have a problem with regulating gas flow and pressure there are certain 'valves' which can be bought quite cheaply. Hope this helps.

Theory guides, experiment decides.
Quince
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 01:50

Is it OK to use a camping-type propane burner on round-bottom boiling flasks?

\"One of the surest signs of Conrad\'s genius is that women dislike his books.\" --George Orwell
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 13:57
gas set up

Quote:
Originally posted by Polverone
I have used two different bunsen burners (one plain, one large with a mesh grid across the top for many little flame cones) with propane. It was achieved by using plastic and surgical tubing glued attached to the gas regulator coming from a 5 gallon barbecue propane tank, with the other end of the tubing slipping and gripping over the burner's gas input. The pressure from the large tank after the gas leaves the regulator seems to be considerably less than what you'd get coming out of a torch nozzle. I used this setup successfully for at least 5 years, and a normal bunsen burner will go for a very long time between refills of the tank.

Hey there Polverone how are you? I am in the middle of preparing my outdoor lab for the big thaw in March. I was planing to get a gas system almost exactly like yours. What I wanted to ask is what type of regulator are you using?

On McMasterCarr.com I even seen the serated nozzles for laboratory benchtops and when I get my new tabletop I wanted to hole saw an opening and installed these professional nozzles so I can stuff the 20 lb tank under the bench to save space.

Fellow molecular manipulator
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 14:38

Unfortunately, I haven't used the big-tank setup for a couple of years now due to space constraints. It's stored several hundred miles away. I don't recall exactly what the regulator was; I believe it was one of those types that are sold for use with propane barbecues and camp stoves.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 17:54
Thanks

Good Enough answer for me. I realized that I could get help after I asked you. I will go to my local shop after I but the nozzles and take them with me and I will say I am setting this up for glassblowing. Better that than say I am a garage chemist. I am sure they help pick pipes, adaptors, regulators etc.

Fellow molecular manipulator

Go To Top