Printable Version  
Author: Subject: From Allybenzenes to Oximes. (Need translation
enima
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2005 at 15:56
From Allybenzenes to Oximes. (Need translation

Found this paper that some might find useful,
the paper uses safrole and converts to the a homo-piperanol oxime.

It could possibly be used for other allybenzene compounds as well.

From from what I understand the allybenzene is placed in ethyl acetate, ozone is pumped thru the solution at 0.75 liter per minute.
Next part I understand the phenylacetylaldehyde is converted to the oxime with NaOH and hydroxylamine.hcl ....

can anyone help translate this?

[Edited on 18-2-2005 by enima]
enima
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-2-2005 at 16:12
Attachment

Oxime.jpg - 241kB
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 17-2-2005 at 17:24

How feasible is an oxidation with ozone? Is anyone actually going to bother doing this before I translate this? ;)

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
enima
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-2-2005 at 23:09

If I can get a hold of an ozone generator, I'll try it.
trilobite
Hazard to Others

Mood: lonely

[*] posted on 18-2-2005 at 04:22

This is a reaction you can find even in the elementary textbooks, so it works, even on industrial scale to my knowledge. Oxidation of a double bond to a molozide intermediate which then rearranges very rapidly to an ozonide, which is then reduced (with catalytic hydrogenation in that article by the way, zinc in AcOH works also) to two aldehydes, allylbenzenes giving phenylacetaldehydes and formaldehyde, 1-propenylbenzenes giving benzaldehydes and acetaldehyde.

R1-C=C-R2 ---> R1-CO + OC-R2

Safrole gives 3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetaldehyde aka homopiperonal, isosafrole 3,4-methylenedioxybenzaldehyde aka piperonal.

But I want to ask: are you sure you know what you are aiming at with this reaction? The oxime gives 3,4-methylenedioxyphenethylamine aka MDPEA on reduction, one carbon less than most prefer that is. There has been a lot of discussion about the method in the past online mostly relating to preparation of piperonal but very little experimental beework.
enima
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-2-2005 at 08:20

well, I'm trying to get the general proceedure down, there is a plant which contains elemicin @ 80% levels in the essential oil, (a tea tree speicies). It would be faily easy to yield mescaline, or synthesis of 2,5-dimethoxyallybenzene from methoxyphenol would yield 2c-h. I guess even the methylation could be done with something harmless like betaine.

But my interest in this proceedure isn't for the end product, I'm more interested in the ability to perform the proceedure.

[Edited on 18-2-2005 by enima]
joe_aldehyde
Hazard to Self

Mood: what is mood?

[*] posted on 14-4-2005 at 02:33

i can translate, no prob, if you name me the tea tree species along with sources :D
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 21-6-2011 at 13:15

Melaleuca squamophloia

I) Production of Homo-piperonal-Oxime

54 g Safrol was dissolved in 330 cc of acetic ester under cooling with treatment with 1.1 % ozone at a current velocity of 0.75 l/min. After 20 hours 125% of the theoretically necessary amount of ozone was lead through. Following with hydrogenation showed a hydrogen take-up of 5680 cc - 70% theoretical. The acetic ester solution of the aldehyde was from the catalyzer (1g) filtered out and divided into two equal parts. To the first part 52 cc 40% of caustic bisulfite (sodium bisulfite?) was added and over night shaken on the machine. Glossy white platelets precipitated out, the bisulfite addition compound was filtered with suction, washed with acetic ester and dried on ceramic. Yield: 37.1 g = 83% Theory. The dried bisuflite compound was mixed with water to a paste, 40 g soda and 14 g hydroxylamine hydrochloride were added and shaken 12 hours. The separated out oxime weighed after drying 22.4 g = 75% Theory, with respect to safrole, showed a melting point of 113 degrees, this after recrystallization from water rose to 115 degrees and agreed with the results of Harries and Adam 15) . The two halves of acetic ester solutions of the aldehydes were evaporated to a large extent and taken up with methanol. 10 g. KOH was dissolved in 20 cc water, under cooling 12 g hydroxylamine hydrochloride was gradually added, then the alkaline solution of hydroxylamine added to the methanol solution of the aldehyde and heated on a water bath for 2 hours under reflux. After evaporation of the methanol in vacuum and addition of 50 cc water, with cooling the homo-piperonal-oxime separated out. Yield 23.1 g = 79% theory, melting point 115 degress (from water).
2) Production of homo-veratrumaldoxime: Working with methyl-eugenol follows as with safrole as described. The yield of oxime was 46 g from 59.3 g allyl compound, 71 % theory, melting point of the oxime: 91 degrees, in agreement with the results of Mannich and Jacobson 18).
3) Production of homo-vanillin-oxime: Ozonisation of eugenol follows as in the above described way. From 16.4 g eugenol 11.4 g oxime was obtained, 63% theory. The melting point 115 degrees agrees with the work of Harries and Haarmann 19).
4) Production of Homo-myristicylaldoxime: By ozonisation of myristicin Harries and Adam 15) obtained an ozonide, this...

[Edited on 21-6-2011 by Vogelzang]
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 10:18

O3 references
http://www.4shared.com/folder/8bTQVaki/O3_online.html

Go To Top