Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Acetyl chloride syntheses
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 01:13
Acetyl chloride syntheses

How can I make Acetyl chloride from vinegar and with out using phosphorus trichloride
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 01:29

I think you can also use phosphorus pentachloride, PCl5, besides the trichloride. Other possibilities are SCl2 and S2Cl2.

It should be, in theory, possible to use any covalent chloride which is readily hydrolysed by the -OH groups in carboxylic acids and alcohols, to produce inorganic oxides or hydroxides having a high enthalpy of formation. Although I have not heard of them being used for the purpose of producing acyl or alkyl chlorides, it may therefore be possible to use the likes of SiCl4, AsCl3, and possibly covalent metal chlorides like SnCl4, TiCl4, AlCl3, etc.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 02:11

why wont this work

nac2h3o2 + hocl + hcl = nacl +h2o + c2h4ocl
CherrieBaby
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 03:34

This is basic chemistry.

The equilibrium is all the wrong way. Your equation doesn't make sense either.

Note that with:

CH3.COCl + 2 H2O => CH3.COOH + H3O+Cl-

The reaction is towards the right because the H3O+Cl- acid is strongly favoured and acetic acid is much more stable than CH3.COCl. Acid Chlorides are among the MOST reactive organic compounds which explains why they are so favoured for use in synthesis; and why they're so hard to make.

Please don't write chemical equations using lower case letters and without punctuation.

Eg. nac2h3o2 makes no sense. You should have written CH3.COONa or CH3.CO2Na, so that we can see the structure. Note that N is Nitrogen and Na is sodium. Although there is no element with just A there is one with Ac.

If you don't follow these rules I doubt that anyone will answer your posts.

[Edited on 6-3-2005 by CherrieBaby]
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 03:45

Hypochlorite (bleach) will definitely not work. Especially since you will be doing this in aqueous solution, and acetyl chloride has a nasty habit of reacting with water to form copious amounts of HCl. :P

Anyway, I don't see how to make acetyl chloride without resorting to halides of sulfur or phosphorus. Why would you need acetyl chloride anyway? Acetic anhydride should be a bit more accessible to you. :D

sparky (^_^)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."

Go To Top