Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Exothermic reactions
saps
Hazard to Self

Mood: disgruntled

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 15:52
Exothermic reactions

hello,
Can anybody think of any fairly cheap to produce, easy to contain, exothermic reactions between 350-600 degrees farenhiet?

thanks
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 17:02

Saps, no offense, but the international scientific consensus on temperature is in CELSIUS, not Fahrenheit (which is to my knowledge only used in north america). So what temperature is it you want? ;-)

Most exothermic reactions (in inorganic chemistry) are most of the time hotter than this, it'll be a tricky call.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 17:20

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
Fahrenheit (which is to my knowledge only used in north america).

Smaller area than that, only in the USA, Canada uses the metric system officially but on occasion some of the older generation still uses Farenheit.

saps
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 17:53
sry

sorry...i meant 176 degrees celsisus to 315 celsius (I am an american fool):(
saps
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 18:02

I could probably lower the tempurature of a reaction by diluting the chemichals involved (eg. 12% h2o2 88% h20 + Potasium permangate)
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 18:07

Do you mean a reaction, that once initiated will atain and maintain temperatures in this range without outside influence?

I mean, the decomposition of ammonium nitrate, although not free of dangers, is an exothermic reaction that takes place in this temperature range. But if the heating is discontinued the reaction will stop as it is not self sustaining unless it gets higher, and then it's a bad thing. Maybe something like the oxidation of iron in those OTC hand warmers, not exactly 170C but somewhere around 80 or 90 if left alone in the warmth. And it would sustain itself for some time without fear of a run away. There may be other oxidations that could produce these temperatures but many organics will be volatised at these temps. There are also a number of possible reactions that involve two components that when mixed would increase in temperature, the mixing being stopped when the desired temperature was obtained but from there it would cool again and more of reactant 'B' would have to be added to maintain the temperature. What is the purpose of this anyway? Non-flame, non-electric heating bath?

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
saps
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 18:13

firstly i would like to thank u fro answering my question.

Can you tell me more about the possible reactions that involve two components that when mixed would increase in temperature, the mixing being stopped when the desired temperature was obtained but from there it would cool again and more of reactant 'B' would have to be added to maintain the temperature.

Go To Top