Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is Raney Nickel inherently flamable, or only after pressure reactions?
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 16:20
Is Raney Nickel inherently flamable, or only after pressure reactions?

I've read quite a bit about handling Raney Nickel, and a number of sources say it can just spontaneously ignite in the air. Wouldn't this only be true if it was previously used in a pressure hydrogenation? Would transfer hydrogenations pose the same hazard since there is no free hydrogen ever stuck in the catalyst?
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 16:32

Both in transfer hydrogenations and in hydrogenations with gaseous hydrogen, the catalysts adsorbs the hydrogen. I expect similar danger with transfer and regular hydrogenations.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 16:40

I had understood that transfer hydrogenations take place under the mechanisms of oxidative addition and reductive elemination, and that the hydrogen never actually leaves its source, it is instead only transferred when both the receiver and the donor are both touching the catalyst simultaneously.

The only cases I have seen warning over the flammability of Raney Ni was when it is used in pressure hydrogenations.

Of similar consequence, other Nickel Catalysts such as coordination complexes are often used for transfer hydrogenations without any risk for ignition, granted, the mechanisms are slightly different. A touch unrelated, but it is interesting to me is that both zero valent nickel and the nickel cation are capable of transfer hydrogenation.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 06:08

Ranet Nickel itself can burn, just like zinc, magnesium or other finely powdered metals, which is why it is sold as a slurry in water. Since it is stored in water, it is usually not an issue, and mostly if measured out as a slurry. Once dried, it is flammable, just as any other fine metal powder, so best to filter it wet or handle away from other chemicals. But once any catalytic metal is exposed to H2, it becomes more dangerous, best to purge with N2 or cycle through a few vacuum N2 cycles to remove the excess H2 before handling.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 18:54

Raney Nickel is generally produced by by the action of a base on an Aluminum-Nickle alloy. Dissolving Aluminum in such a manner produces hydrogen. So, the presence of hydrogen on Raney Nickel, must be assumed. It is inherently flammable.
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 10:21

Guys I am getting some Raney Nickel from a supplier, 93% Ni 7% Aluminum. They only sell it as a fine powder, 50 micron size.

Is combustion a legitimate risk I have to think about when using or storing this? What are we talking about here? A small fire? Or a lab shattering explosion?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 11:17

I don't think there is any risk of an explosion from just Raney Nickel. Adding it to some compounds, like hydrazine, or other reducing agents, can cause decomposition, which can be quite reactive, so that could be dangerous if not done slowly and best under a nitrogen atmosphere, but I can done small ones without much purging. But it certainly can catch fire from exposure to air, with or without any other chemicals around. Filtering to dryness in air is the cause of most fires.

I have used it many times for reductions, and most of mine were in ethanol, and I simply filter the reaction, and then wash the solids with ethanol quickly, then water to help keep them wet. If your product is water sensitive, just have another collection flask ready to collect the water wash into.

Once the filtrate is collected, I then wash the solids into a vial or bottle with some rinse water, and then keep the spent nickel as a slurry in water. As you fill the bottle, you can decant off some water to keep the bottle from overflowing but as long as there is any water over the top of the nickel, it should be fine. I may be overly cautious, but I have not ever had a problem, and I often get 90+% yields from my Raney Ni reductions. It works quite well for easy reductions like aromatic nitro to amine, but it not as reactive for some other groups.

[Edited on 10-12-2014 by Dr.Bob]
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 14:10

I'm not worried about storing it post reaction. I am more concerned with storing the unused Raney Ni. I will be receiving a presumably mylar-sealed bag of it. Will it be safe for me to transfer this to a standard plastic reagent container and store it there until use?

Used portions will be stored under water.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 16:00

I have had Raney nickel catch fire several times. This usually happens when filtering it out (solvent evaporates quickly and poof). I have also observed the residue to catch fire in bomb reactions (again, solvent evaporates and poof), and when a slurry in an unlabeled container was tossed in the trash on lab-cleanup day (wasn't me, but the firetrucks came out for that one).

It will catch fire if allowed to dry in air straight as it comes from the bottle. It is even more touchy after a reaction. The presence of flammables nearby should be avoided.

In all cases with finely divided metals, Al hydrides (cyanoborohydride and STAB are pretty laid back) and/or most organometallics--don't plan to react in case of fire, plan on having one. This is especially true with Zn, Al and Li alkyls.

All of the Raney nickel I have ever received came from the supplier in a wide-mouth plastic bottle under water. It will stay that way nicely almost forever, SFAIK. We kept it in the refrigerator.

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 00:33

Quote: Originally posted by FireLion3  
Guys I am getting some Raney Nickel from a supplier, 93% Ni 7% Aluminum. They only sell it as a fine powder, 50 micron size.

IIRC ,the ratio of Ni:Al is usually 1:1

if there is so little Al ,the alloy will not become very porous , and not a lot of H2 will be liberated as only the Al will react with the NaOH ,not nickel

http://www.webelements.com/nickel/chemistry.html
read under "reaction of nickel with bases"

for the importance of Al in raney nickel read this
http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/14695/differenc...

are you getting the 7% Al grade because you want a less reactive and more selective catalyst ?

[Edited on 10-12-2014 by CuReUS]
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 09:08

Quote: Originally posted by CuReUS  
Quote: Originally posted by FireLion3  

if there is so little Al ,the alloy will not become very porous , and not a lot of H2 will be liberated as only the Al will react with the NaOH ,not nickel

http://www.webelements.com/nickel/chemistry.html
read under "reaction of nickel with bases"

for the importance of Al in raney nickel read this
http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/14695/differenc...

are you getting the 7% Al grade because you want a less reactive and more selective catalyst ?

[Edited on 10-12-2014 by CuReUS]

The supplier is an industrial factory supplier and they said this ratio is a very standard ratio used in the industry. I'm not sure why else they would just have this ratio mixed laying around.

The reactions I am going to be doing do not require Raney Nickel Explicitly. Normal nickel works just as well as long as it is Ni 0. Ni 0 without aluminum also works for transfer hydrogenations, I think the Aluminum just helps activate it?
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 13:10

Quote: Originally posted by CuReUS  

He didn't say it was Raney alloy. He called it Raney Ni, which probably does always have some Al in it, when made from the usual alloy.

If it comes in a bag and isn't under water and doesn't have a bunch of hazardous shipping labels on it...it's probably not very reactive.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
WChase501
Harmless

Mood: Depressed and Happy

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 15:35

It is flammable no matter what.

"Playing God" is false, Nothing in our Universe is impossible, you just need to know the method of doing whatever you want to. Knowledge is everything.

Go To Top